View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #14
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
You mean, you don't think those people understand Frodo the way you do.
I think it's interesting that Tolkien did not consider Frodo to be the "hero" of the story, but Sam.

Different people are going to like/dislike things done by Frodo, and all other characters, colored by their own personalities and beliefs. What one reader considers heroic, another may see as merely stupid. That's the beauty of books: people take from them what they put into them.
I was waiting for you reply, sir! Yes, that's true everyone is free to have their own opinions according to their psychology, experiences and lives, but there are some facts that do not change with these opinions. Frodo being the hero of LotR is one of them. Tolkien did say Sam was the chief hero but he wrote in most of his letters Frodo is the hero. And I'm talking about everyone understanding or liking Frodo the way I do, the real question is of general knowledge. For example, there was an article where the author compared both Bilbo and Frodo, and he concluded that Bilbo's adventure was no less frightening than that of Frodo's; still Bilbo comes as stronger one. He also said that Bilbo's company didn't give him the respect that Frodo's did etc. etc. Albeit these points hold true for the stories but they don't prove why Bilbo's struggles are greater than Frodo's. Frodo literally carried the fate of ME on his shoulders, why wouldn't they support him, while Bilbo became the man of focus in Mirkwood? Bilbo's adventures were certainly never as childish as children might assume but they did not require all from Bilbo. What's need to say Frodo's not as heroic as is meant to be?