View Single Post
Old 03-26-2004, 01:24 PM   #39
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Shield Rohan: Mellon-Amroth

Hoofbeats thudding on the cold ground warned him of approaching horses. They were close. Why had he not heard them further off? He turned, suprised.

He gazed, wondering. Who were they? Why could he not see their faces more clearly? He shaded his eyes, staring, but could not tell. Something had happened to his vision and to his hearing both; they were faded, indistinct. He shook his head as if to clear it, and looked again. He still could not make out their faces.

But one, on an aged bay horse, reminded him of Aedegard in bearing and stature; with a smile, he nodded. Indeed. The tall chestnut that he led was a handsome animal, and Amroth smiled. The young wheelwright had been most kind, and he would not forget it....

Amroth bent his thoughts toward the chestnut. Greetings, my young friend; welcome and well-met. I have need of thee. By your leave, we should not tarry; we have far to go.

The chestnut snorted, and his head came up. Ędegard had time to give him one puzzled look and say "Easy, Echo, whoa boy" before the chestnut spun to face him, planted his front feet, dropped his head, and with a twist, ducked out of the headstall. Ędegard was left holding a rope with an empty headstall dragging on the ground. The chestnut galloped straight to the young blacksmith, and stopped; the young blacksmith leaped onto the chestnut's back, and the chestnut turned north.

"Wait! Echo, whoa. Ho! Echo, stand! Mellon, give me back my horse!"

The blacksmith turned to Ędegard, puzzled. "You did not intend this horse for me? I misunderstood you."

"No. That is, I-- just where are you going with my horse?"

"To Lothlorien."