View Single Post
Old 09-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #131
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Are you sure it's not just a mistake by a lowly intern? I mean, instead of being a directive from higher up?

However, the fact that there apparently wasn't a crackdown on this kind of thing after the much worse example you gave earlier does suggest the publishers are unconcerned about the issue- at the very least.
I daresay it was just someone from their social media team, but yes I still think it's very poor form that something "official" can be involved in perpetuating this kind of misinformation and misrepresentation.

The thing that irks me (that no one in the comments on the page appears to have grasped) is that attributing a line of film dialogue (albeit one derived from the books) to Professor Tolkien himself is simply sloppy and unprofessional. Of course, it appears that anyone taking objection is simply told "well the movies were inspired by the books so it doesn't matter." It doesn't make it any less misleading, however.

EDIT: Actually I notice that the post doesn't specifically say "-J.R.R. Tolkien" underneath, it just says "J.R.R. Tolkien" and his dates, so it's technically not presenting it as a quote, and I'm making more of a deal out of this than I should. I still think it's peculiar to quote the films (and an idea from the films, which implies that mortal death is like going to some kind of paradise, which isn't what Professor Tolkien actually wrote) in relation to an author who had absolutely nothing to do with the films.

Last edited by Zigūr; 09-03-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Zigūr is offline   Reply With Quote