View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #32
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf But I don't live there!

A year or so ago, I would have said, yes, I have seen Middle-Earth, and would have proceeded to give a lengthy list of places near my house that somehow reminded me of ME. Now, however, I have to say, no, I have not seen Middle-Earth. I have seen Earth. Perhaps my imaginings of ME have sharpened my interest and awareness of Earth, but, then again, the beauty of our world has shaped my imagination of that world. I cannot go out to the natural lands on campus and say I see the plains of Rohan, nor can I explore the forest behind my dorm and say I have seen the Old Forest or Lothlorien or Fangorn (although sometimes I feel like a hobbit out there ). All I can say is, I have seen Minnesota, I have seen Wisconsin, I have seen the various other states I have lived in, and I have loved them. I don't want to see Middle-Earth, however much I love it. I want to see Earth.

Besides, Middle-Earth doesn't really have any lakes. On the map, and in the stories, there is one lake (Lake Evendim), two marshes (Midgewater and Dead), and two seas (Rhun and Nurnen). I would miss lakes and ponds--and ducks!