View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #30
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Aragorn to me built up to his reclamation of the throne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Aragorn and Arwen
She shall not be the bride of any Man less than the King of Gondor and Arnor.
One of the reasons his last ancestor (Arvedui) to make a claim to the throne was denied it was because he had not proved himself worthy. His cousin Eärnil II was a great captain and won great victories, in fact snatching victory from the maws of defeat because Gondor was just about to he conquered. Aragorn in his life proved himself over and over again. He even became renowned in Gondor as Thorongil. Later during the War of the Ring he proved himself again. These acts of valour and success by Aragorn were the means for his reclamation to me. Had an earlier ancestor proved himself in like manner it would have been done earlier. Denethor, over a thousand years after Arvedui, still saw the line of Isildur as a "a ragged house long bereft of dignity".

There is a gradual coming into his own that appears in the books. Remember from the tavern he did not glitter, to the healing hands being the hands of a King from the Dúnadan woman Ioreth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mirror of Galadriel
Aragorn took the stone and pinned the brooch upon his breast, and those who saw him wondered; for they had not marked before how tall and kingly he stood.
There is one instance in Rohan where Aragorn asserts his authority in a kingly manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of the Golden Hall
It is not clear to me that the will of Théoden son of Thengel, even though he be lord of the Mark, should prevail over the will of Aragorn son of Arathorn, Elendil’s heir of Gondor… I command you not to touch it, nor to permit any other to lay hand on it. In this elvish sheath dwells the Blade that was Broken and has been made again. Telchar first wrought it in the deeps of time. Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil’s sword save Elendil’s heir.
Also there is Éowyn's perception of Aragorn;

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of the Golden Hall
she now was suddenly aware of him: tall heir of kings, wise with many winters, greycloaked, hiding a power that yet she felt.
There is also this bit of lore from Gondor from Ioreth about the kings and their healing prowess:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Houses of Healing
would that there were kings in Gondor, as there were once upon a time, they say! For it is said in old lore: The hands of the king are the hands of a healer. And so the rightful king could ever be known.
Early in the series when they encountered the Nazgul Aragorn demonstrates this when he sort of breathes some life back into Frodo after he recieved a Morgul-wound in Flight to the Ford. Although none could really cure Frodo of the wound which remained with him even as he left M-E. Aragorn, Glorfindel, and Elrond had taken a look at it and did what they could. He healed Gimli [The Road to Isengard]. Then in Gondor he took care of Faramir, Merry, and Eowen, doing which, word spread like wildfire about the king and how "after war he brought healing" [The Houses of Healing]. Aragorn says, "I have, maybe, the power to heal her body, and to recall her from the dark valley." [The Houses of Healing]

The one other thing I think should bear mentioning is his taking up of the seeing-stone and revealing himself to Sauron. The palantír were in the power of the kings and as king he battled against Sauron, "I am the lawful master of the Stone, and I had both the right and the strength to use it, or so I judged. The right cannot be doubted. The strength was enough, barely". This is I think another act of Aragorn being kingly by using the Stone which is his by law and right. Below is the scene in which he made use of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Passing of the Grey Company
"'Where is Aragorn?'
'In a high chamber of the Burg,' said Legolas. 'He has neither rested nor slept, I think. He went thither some hours ago, saying he must take thought, and only his kinsman, Halbarad, went with him;'
<...>
Merry had eyes only for Aragorn, so startling was the change that he saw in him, as if in one night many years had fallen on his head. Grim was his face, grey-hued and weary.
'I am troubled in mind, lord,' he said, standing by the king's horse.
'I have heard strange words, and I see new perils far off. I have laboured long in thought, and now I fear that I must change my purpose.'
<...>
'A struggle grimmer for my part than the battle of the Hornburg,' answered Aragorn. 'I have looked in the Stone of Orthanc, my friends.'"
There is also the instance of Aragorn unfurling the banner of his house (Elendil) just before he and his men engaged in the battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle of the Pelennor Fields
There flowered a White Tree, and that was for Gondor; but Seven Stars were about it, and a high crown above it, the signs of Elendil that no lord had borne for years beyond count.
Aragorn is seen revealing himself to his enemies, while he does also hide from him. Remember he told the Hobbits how the Enemy is setting traps for him. Yet at Helm's Deep he showed himself and the Enemy did a double take and were kind of taken aback.