View Single Post
Old 01-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
NA-EX-61<Ap Narn /by Turambar, for the Dragon Helm has found/ a master of another name>."
I think the Helm should be mentioned and your line sounds better then mine.

NA-EX-62: That point is done then.

Are you fine with NA-EX-59 and NA-EX-60?

NA-EX-61.5: Yes your solution is simple and effectiv.

But still I tend to bring the story of the Dragon-helm to the point were Tolkien left it. And that would mean to mention that Húrin recieved it back in the end. The draft outline reads for me like the startingpoint for WH. Okay the story developed much while it was actually written. But is not "They will not admit him - saying that the Halethrim do not wish any more to become enmeshed in the shadow of his kin" what Manthor doth before his death. I see some possible points to mention Húrin recieving the Helm:

Version 1: Just here were Túrin died:
Quote:
Then they lifted up Túrin, and saw that his sword was broken asunder.NA-EX-61.5{ So passed all that he possessed.}
With toil of many hands they gathered wood and piled it high and made a great burning, and destroyed the body of the Dragon, until he was but black ash and his bones beaten to dust, and the place of that burning was ever bare and barren thereafter. But Túrin they laid in a high mound where he had fallen, and the shards of Gurthang were set beside him. NA-EX-61.7<WH, based on Note at the end of GA But the Dragon-helm remained in Brethil until it was given to Húrin.> And when all was done, and the minstrels of Elves and Men had made lament, telling of the valour of Turambar and the beauty of Níniel, a great grey stone was brought and set upon the mound; NA-EX-62<editorial addition based on WH and the Men of Brethil call it Talbor, the Standing Stone,> and thereon the Elves carved in the Runes of Doriath:
Version 2: Early in the dealing of Hardan and Húrin, in the one moment were Hardangs mode is softend:
Quote:
Then he turned towards Húrin, who sat meanwhile bent on the low stool; his eyes were closed, and he seemed to take no heed of what was said. 'Well, Húrin of Hithlum,' said Hardang, 'what of your errand? Is it a matter of haste? Or will you not perhaps take thought and rest and speak of it later more at your ease? Meanwhile RD-WH-07.5<based on Note at the end of GA I give back the Dragon-helm to you and >we may find you some food less distasteful.' Hardang's tone was now more gentle, and he rose as he spoke; for he was a wary man, and he had marked the displeasure on the faces of others beside Manthor.
Here we have not the actuall deed but that could be suposed to be done later.

Version 3: During the Moot:
Quote:
Thereupon there was even greater uproar, and men stood up on the turfbanks, clashing their arms, and crying: 'Free! Free! Set him free!' And many voices were heard also shouting: 'Away with this {Halad}[Halbar]! Put him in the caves!'
Many of the older men who sat in the lowest tier ran forward and knelt before Húrin to ask his pardon; and one offered him a staff, and another gave him a fair cloak and a great belt of silver RD-WH-07.5<Note at the end of GA /, and one /{But ^ [?new] Lord gives}gave the Dragon-helm to Húrin. >And when Húrin was so clad, and had a staff in hand, he went to the {Angbor}[Halabor] Stone and stood up on it, in no wise as a suppliant, but in mien as a king; and facing the assembly he cried in a great voice: 'I thank you, Masters of Brethil here present, who have released me from dishonour. There is then justice still in your land, though it has slept and been slow to awake. But now I have a charge to bring in my turn.
Version 4: After Manthor had have a chance to get it:
Quote:
The next day, when the news that Hardang was dead went abroad, a great throng of people sought for Manthor, crying that he must be Chieftain. But he said: 'Nay, this must be laid before the full Moot. That cannot be yet; for the Ring is unhallowed, and there are other things more pressing to do. First I have an errand. I must go to the Field of the Worm and the Stone of the Hapless, where Morwen their mother lies untended. Will any come with me?'
Then ruth smote the hearts of those that heard him; and though some drew back in fear, many were willing to go, but among these there were more women than men. RD-WH-10.5<Note at the end of GA /While they prepearde for that task /{But ^ [?new] Lord gives}[Manthor] gave the Dragon-helm to Húrin.>
Therefore at length they set off in silence on the path that led down along the falling torrent of Celebro
Version 5: With the man that followed Húrin to Nargothrond as was discussed before.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote