View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #451
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Cnebba

Cnebba and Garmund were walking around the camp idly. Everybody else was busy with the preparations. They had nothing to do.

"Let's go somewhere where Mum can't find us," Cnebba said.
"Yeah, she will probably come up with more work to do," Garmund agreed.

Not quite deciding where to go, the two boys found themselves from behind Harreld's smithy. In the front, Ginna was swinging a sword in beautiful arches while Harreld was watching her with unhidden admiration. Cnebba and Garmund were watching too.

"She's a woman, not a soldier. Why can she use a sword?" Cnebba protested.
"Eorling women can," Garmund replied.
"My mum can't."
"But she's not... a fine woman like that."
"My mum would beat any fine woman in a fight." Cnebba said proudly, but with a grimace. "She has big muscles."
"I know," Garmund said darkly. "I remember when she dragged us through all of the yard when she decided we needed a lecture on gentlemanly behaviour."
"And we couldn't even put up a fight," Cnebba added, shaking his head.

Harreld said something and he and Ginna left. Cnebba opened his mouth to speak.
"Anyway... I was just thinking. We are men..."
Garmund shot him a critical glance.
"Almost men," Cnebba corrected. "And a proper man can wield a sword just as well as any... fine woman or whatever you call them. And we can't. It's unfair."
Garmund nodded. "What if we..."
"Yes," Cnebba replied.
They exchanged malicious grins, crawled and crept closer to the smithy door, and when no one was looking, they dashed in.

There were several swords to choose from, all well made, some looking unfinished or a bit damaged, though. Cnebba picked a long sword with a beautifully crafted hilt. "I like this one the best."

Garmund eyed him jealously, then picked another sword. "This one is cooler. It's even bigger."
"But mine has a nicer hilt."
"I bet it's not as efficient as this one."

With effort, Cnebba swung the long sword at Garmund's direction. "Hey!" the bigger boy exclaimed, and clumsily lifted his sword just in time to parry the blow. Cnebba's sword hit a row of axes and other half-made woodcutting equipment. They collapsed to the floor with a very loud crash.

"Someone must have heard that!" Garmund shouted.
"You ninny, you let the blow fall there..."
"You're the clumsy one who was using the sword!"
"It was a stupid idea to some here."
"It was you idea as well!"
"Don't shout, someone will hear!"
"As if they didn't hear your crash already..."
"It was not..."

They heard quickly approaching footsteps from the outside.

"Run!" Garmund whispered in terror.
"Hide!" Cnebba hissed.