View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 01:41 AM   #8
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
Why does Pippin go through so much effort to save Faramir's life? Do we have any back story that would explain that?
I think this sentiment goes back to when Pippin first saw Faramir. He realized why Beregond spoke of his Captain with so much love and reverence, and found out for himself that Faramir is indeed the kind of leader anyone would follow even unto death. Since he has become a 'Man' of Gondor, it is his duty to look after its welfare; seeing that the ruling steward has turned pyromaniacally suicidal and is about to bring his son - his only remaining 'heir' - to the pyre with him, he knew he had to take action.

Quote:
Sauron's influence is most sharply felt in divisiveness, even to the point of killing friends instead of foes. What is your opinion on Beregond's role in this unhappy event? Should he have acted differently?
That brings me to wonder whether or not I agree with Gandalf in this:
Quote:
'Work of the Enemy!' said Gandalf. 'Such deeds he loves: friend at war with friend; loyalty divided in confusion of hearts.'
Sauron's work, as I see it, was in Denethor alone, yet it created a ripple effect that Beregond was caught up in. While Beregond's deed is not completely of Sauron's making, it was an inevitable effect. But come to think of it, did his killing of the porter bring more good than harm? If he did not resort to that, what would have happened to Faramir, and to Gondor ultimately?

Quote:
The chapter ends with a note on the weather - the combination of fire and rain results in smoke. Do you see any significance in that?
Hmm...smoke is the 'aftermath' of the rain drenching the fire. False hope? Darkness clouding the light to take away hope? A temporary truce? Can fire be rekindled from smoke?

That's all for now, folks.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote