View Single Post
Old 06-30-2003, 06:50 AM   #45
King_Elendil
Pile O'Bones

King_Elendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is only my second post here, but here goes:
Elijah Wood as Frodo: Even though he is often seen as a frightened pretty boy and not an older Frodo, Wood captures the childlike Hobbit innocence of Frodo. Sure he seems afraid, but Frodo hasn't experienced anything like this before. He's a hobbit out of his element. So, you would probably be afraid, too.
Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf: Fantastic. McKellen captured Gandalf the Grey/White in a superb manner.
Liv Tyler as Arwen: I know about the whole why Arwen not Glorfindel controversy. I come down on Arwen's side. Why? Not only Liv's beauty, but what does Glorfindel really do for the story? It works on page to have a character introduced and then dropped. It's not so easy on screen. That aside Liv Tyler's a decent actress, who captured the character in a good way
Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn: Don't hit me, but Tolkien's Aragorn seems too egocentric. Viggo's Aragorn has a sense of a quiet, dignified leader.
Sean Astin as Samwise Gamgee: Sam's main qualities are devotion and loyalty. Astin is just that to Elijah Wood's Frodo.
Dominic Monaghan as Merry: It's kind of hard to tell, as dialogue is concerned, but Monaghan acts out his character with a fun-loving attitude, but gradually morphs into what will hopefully be a fine knight of the Riddermark.
Billy Boyd as Pippin: More goofy than in Tolkien's work, from what I understand, however in TTT you can detect that subtle loss of innocence, i.e. There won't be a Shire.
Sean Bean as Boromir: Bean redeems the character, plus the death scene was a whole lot more emotionally charged.
Orlando Bloom as Legolas: Again, like Dominic Monaghan's Merry is kind of hard to tell, considering his lack of dialogue. Like Frodo comes off as a kind of pretty boy, but Legolas' main quality is devotion to Aragorn, which he shows at Helm's Deep
John Rhys-Davies as Gimli: Cut down on his punchlines, but he's a fierce rollicking Dwarf.
Ian Holm as Bilbo Baggins: He IS Bilbo!
Bernard Hill as Theoden: Prissy, stuck-up, bullying Aragorn and acting like an overall jerk to Gimli. The scene at Theodred's grave and when he rode out were really and when he was revived were the only places where he shone.
Karl Urban as Eomer: GIVE HIM MORE SCREEN TIME!
David Wenham as Faramir: I agree with the popular assumption that his character was majorly screwed.