View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #105
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
It was early morning, but already hot when Crabannan and his horse crested the hill. Instead of riding, he was walking along on his own two feet, taking shelter from the sun in the shadow cast by his gangly steed. The two companions (for so they seemed, as the horse walked alongside its master without halter or lead) went along at a leisurely pace, with no where to go and in no hurry to get there. Crabannan threw rocks at snakes and wild fowl, and the horse strayed to nibble on heads of wheat – but returned to Crabannan’s side at a whistle and a snap of the latter’s fingers. Then the two would continue to plod along, Crabannan limping slightly in his right leg.

Crabannan was tall and dark, with a nose like an eagle and hair the color of raven’s feathers. His black cloak, which fluttered idly in the breeze, gave him a somber quality which was belied by his lively, sardonic eyes and mouth. At his back were a bow and arrows, and at the back of his sword-belt was strapped a short Eorling sword. On his horse, behind the saddle, were tied two more objects, both carefully wrapped up in cloth. The first was long and clearly a sword, but the second, which was short and broad, was indistinguishable beneath the cloth. Apart from a small saddle-bag containing a blanket and a few odd tools, these were all his possessions.

They first spotted the smoke from the kitchen fires in Scarburg, then the ruined hall itself, and as they drew closer still, they began to be able to make out people moving about between the tents and buildings. “I wasn’t expecting Eorlings out here,” he said softly to himself. “I had rather thought we’d be alone until we got to Edoras.” He stopped to survey the fledgling settlement. His horse stopped and looked at him questioningly.

“Well…shall we stop by or did you have other plans?” Crabannan was talking to his horse now. “Indeed! You never told me you made friends with a mare last time we were in Edoras. Ah well, she hasn’t seen you for two years, and I’m sure she can wait a day or so longer. Besides, I’m hungry. Perhaps, Horse, we can work for our breakfast...or I, at any rate. I see you’ve had yours.”

Crabannan did NOT know how to converse with horses, but he did know that he was, indeed, hungry and had not eaten for at least a day. So he and “Horse”, as he pragmatically called his steed, made their way down the hill and up the lane into the settlement. Crabannan was still limping a little on that stiff right leg.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 05-21-2008 at 10:58 PM.