Thread: Elvish Insults!
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2003, 08:08 AM   #30
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

From what I've seen, guy who be short, most of these are Grey-Elvish expressions. Now, as we all know, Grey-Elvish is based loosely on Tolkien's language, but they are not actually the words of Tolkien. After consulting the Council of Elrond dictionary, "evil" in Quenya is: úmëa, ulca, saura (which refers more to being evil-smelling, or putrid). In Sindarin, it is: um, balch, and gûl (which is evil magic). An evil creature is "raug". Ooo! They have Noldorin now on the Council of Elrond. An evil creature is a "rhaug" or a "graug". In order to say "You are evil" in Sindarin, one could probably simply say "Le úmëa", as they tend not to use the verb "to be" much (similar to Russian in that regard, I suppose).

EDIT: and yes, "ulundo" means monster, as does "úvanimo", which means, literally, "a creature of Melkor". In Sindarin, it's "úan" or "ulunn". "Ulun" and "ulund" mean "monster" in Noldorin.

[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]