View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #982
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Hmmm. What lmp said. As originally written, Tharonwe was sowing suspicion, which I think is more likely.

Judging the heart is a common theme in Tolkien, and both Arwen and Aragorn would see that Erebemlin and Taitheneb are elves who can be trusted. And one look at Tharonwe's heart would show otherwise. I doubt Tharonwe would open his mind at all; too risky; yet if he doesn't open his mind, he therefore arouses suspicion.

Perhaps Tharonwe might begin with something along the lines of, "The Marchwarden speaks of that which he knows and sees."

EDIT: Cross-posting with lmp's edit.

I do think humor between the king & queen would be subtle, perhaps the sparkle of an eye or the hint of a smile.

We know Aragorn did the contest-of-wills thing with adversaries (Mouth of Sauron comes to mind) and we know that Arwen watched over Aragorn from afar; so conversational osanwe is plausible between them. That they also spoke to one another is, I think, clear in the the appendices, at the very least the day they met. (Tinuviel!Tinuviel! ...Why do you call me by that name?)

(pov comment) Indeed, unless the narrator of the tale (I think we'd assume in this case Erebemlin or Taitheneb) were privy to the conversations, how would it make it into the book in the end? (a faux pas I've repeatedly committed, I must admit.)

I'll reread the post, and reconsider the subtlety issue. You might want to let the reader interpret some of what they might be telling each other by outward physical hints; glances, smiles, sparkling eyes... there's plenty of that in Tolkien, both in the ride back to Rivendell/Lorien, and in Rivendell itself (Arwen's piercing glance, etc.)

Last edited by mark12_30; 07-06-2006 at 09:17 AM.