View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 03:28 AM   #991
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There's no point in going back and changing what has already been written .... except, perhaps, further revising Formy's post, if we feel up to it.

Allow me to jump on the other side of the fence a moment: I love writing Tharonwe getting into the minds of others. But I notice that I do this in images at least, if not more than, words. Most of what passed between Raefindan and Tharonwe was verbal dialogue. I didn't make a conscious effort to avoid 'osanwë-blabber', but I guess it turns out that way.

So maybe one way of dealing with osanwë in a more creative manner, if deal we must, writing from the perspective of Elves as often as not, is to use a different sense than hearing. Imagine 'smelling' osanwë, or 'touching', or 'tasting'. I have no idea what that might be like as I haven't tried it, but I have tried 'seeing', and I liked what resulted. The 'other' senses would be good to thread into the rest of our writing as well, for that matter.

Oh, and on a completely different side-note: I have got to figure out a way to get Jorje back into this story.