View Single Post
Old 03-06-2003, 01:30 PM   #124
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Child's post:

When the serving maid went in that morning to fluff up the bedclothes, she did not notice the small piece of paper tacked up to the door. After she finished straightening the room, she left in a rush, her arms piled high with dirty linens, slamming the door behind her. The maid did not look back to see the small sheet rip loose from the nail and flutter to the ground, coming to rest in a pile of dust which she'd neglected to sweep that morning.

Dear Frodo,

I am sorry to burden you with my problems again. I am sitting here in the common room unable to sleep, and I thought you might help me think through some of this.

Last night, Lorien told us about his plan to bring Maura to the Inn. Please say thanks to Bilbo for everything he did. I know he tried his best. Do not let him know that things are not going very well, as I fear it would grieve him.

Sadly, Lorien has so blundered things that it may not be possible to set them right. When he told me the news, his words sounded so cold and uncaring that Pio became very angry and, in her desire to protect me, came close to lifting her dagger against him. Even I felt as if he'd placed me at the edge of a cliff, and did not really care whether I stood or fell.

I wish Gandalf had been sent in his place, or that Lorien had shown enough sense to draw me aside, instead of burdening my friends. Frodo, I freely promised my love to Maura, and I am bound to honor that pledge, even when it leads to sadness. A few moments in time with him sound unbearably precious to me. I have nothing now, so why should I refuse the little that is being offered? But to Pio, who had wished for something better for me, to say nothing of her desire to protect her own family, this temporary arrangement seems nothing but a cruel jest.

I do not like it when my choices fall on the heads of my friends. Pio was hurt and I am sure Bird was not happy either. I have told Lorien that I will speak with him tomorrow, after he is sober. Then I must think on the words he says. I love Maura very much, but this arangement will not be easy, and others will find it hard to understand.

I have sometimes thought that Lorien should send Maura to my side, but that the two of us should leave the Inn and remain apart from our friends, exchanging our vows with only the songbirds as witnesses. I do not know. I seem to carry disaster in my wake. Pio came within a hair's breadth of thrusting her dagger into the Vala. I do not want my own burdens to fall on my friends.

I plan to check on Lorien tomorrow. If he follows my advice, he will be staying in one of the deserted burrows on the far side of Bywater Pool.

Forgive me for saying this, but I can not imagine living in the West, if all the folk you rub shoulders with are like this fellow Lorien. Perhaps there are some who are nicer.

And do not neglect to go pay a visit to Samwise Gamgee for I saw him looking at you last night with great sadness in his eyes.

Your friend,

Cami

Mark 12_30's post

Frodo and Bilbo finished Second Breakfast, pushing their plates away with contented sighs. There was a peaceful silence for a few moments, and they saw the maid scurry through the hallway bearing a great burden of linens. Frodo considered the sheet trailing in her wake, and smiled softly.

"I had planned on a walk, Bilbo," he said.

"Of course you had, " Bilbo replied, "and don't think I've forgotten. Off you go. I could use a peaceful morning after all the chaos of the evening prior."

"I wish you could come..." Frodo sighed.

"I'm old, " Bilbo cut him off. "You go tramping. Cover some ground. And find someone to tramp with; you can walk alone at Tol Eressea all you want."

There was a silence. The sentence carried more foreboding than Bilbo had meant it to. Frodo studied Bilbo, who looked away awkwardly, and eventually Frodo spoke. "Bilbo, I've learned that I'm at home wherever you are. And yet I can tell you're preparing to leave, and then what home will I have? Uncle, you'll break my heart all over again."

"Nonsense, my boy. You'll be all right, " Bilbo replied brusquely.

Frodo's response held bitterness. "Well, with half of elvendom watching over me, I'm sure I'll be warm, well fed and well educated. And once again, I will desperately miss you, and long more than anything else to be off on your trail."

"You'll join me eventually, " Bilbo said, eyes glinting. "Don't be in any rush. Right now, you've got a walk to go on. And I'll not have you moping about in the West because you failed to go tramping in The Shire when you had the chance. Off with you now. Go on."

Frodo did not stir, but fought against disapointment, fear, sadness and loneliness, and a strong sense of denial.

"Now, Lad. You'll be all right. Don't carry on so."

Frodo's eyes blazed and his quiet voice took on an indignant edge. "I'll carry on as much as I wish to, Uncle. If you're going to abandon me you can deal with my disappointment and sorrow. And so can anyone else for that matter."

Bilbo laughed out loud. "I'm not gone yet, for pity's sake. And if you keep this up, in sheer embarassment I'll depart this world sooner rather than later! Off with you."

Exhasperated, sad, and trying to hide it, Frodo pointed his forefinger accusingly at Bilbo. Bilbo caught the hand and soundly slapped Frodo's back. "The Shire is waiting. Go on, now."

Frodo sighed, stood and kissed his uncle's forehead, and then straightened, and headed back to the room to get an extra shirt. As he came back out the door, he saw a paper on the floor; it was addressed to him. He snatched it up and pocketed it, planning to read it in the sun. He stopped by the dining room on his way out, and gazed at Bilbo.

Bilbo felt his eyes on him, and turned and gave him an impish smile, and waved him on. Frodo left reluctantly. But once he was on the grass beside the road, he took a deep breath, and turning towards The Hill, settled into a strong, steady pace.

[ March 07, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]

[ March 07, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]