View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 08:11 AM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
I'm watching/listening to an interview with Pratchett on BBC4 and he has just admitted that when he was young he wrote a parody of Lord of the Rings, mixed up with the world of Jane Austen. Apparently it had the Orcs attacking the vicarage. Alas, it is a long lost work as he misplaced it and wishes he could find it now.

He also mentioned that he always preferred the Orcs and Trolls to the Elves, and how he felt sorry for them as they had 'no redemption'. He says he always felt the Elves 'were up to something'.
You know, it would be just like Pratchett to set up a practical joke where we all think there is a missing text out there somewhere, especially one as full of potential as this one. I mean, Tolkien and Austen, there can't be better material for parody than that. Bronte it is easy to parody and George Eliot, a bore. But Tolkien and Austen! Why, you could have scenes of women with absolutely no men in it at all, and scenes of men with absolutely no women at all and viscious high teas. Scones becoming deadly weapons. Miss Bates and Ioreth holding great sway.

There's no end to attacks on earnestness that comic writers can come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lathspell
Pratchett has made a lot of direct or indirect comments about Tolkien's works. Names of people the principals in the story come across or simply a copied sentence. And sometimes a remark that's somewhat deeper, but does have a connection to Tolkien's works.
Very true. I wonder if it would be worth it to compile lists and examples of them. As you say, they are sprinkled throughout Pratchett's stories. Is he trying to attract Tolkien's readers for his readership or is he latching onto the coat tails of the great one or is he subtly providing his own criticism of The Professor? Or is he just having sport?