View Single Post
Old 08-01-2004, 08:01 AM   #32
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Cabbages and kings

Good of you to quote the Bombadil verse from Tales of the Perilous Realm, davem. And answer to Bombadil, it is salutary to recall that Bombadil was a character already conceived before Tolkien began LotR, and was not part of the mythology of the Silm.

We could consider Tolkien's explanation of Tom in Letter # 153:

Quote:
In historical fact I put him in because I had already 'invented' him independently (he first appeared in the Oxford Magazine) and wanted an 'adventure' on the way. But I kept him in, and as he was, because he represents certain things otherwise left out. [N.B. Now there's a statement for you!] I do not mean him to be an allegory--or I should not have given him so particular embodying individual, and ridiculous a name--but 'allegory' is the only mode of exhibiting certain functions: he is then an 'allegory' , or an examplar, a particular embodying of pure (real) natural science: the spirit that desires knowledge of other things, their history and nature, [i]because they are 'other' and wholly idependent of the enquiring mind,a spirit coeval with the rational mind, and entirely unconcerned with 'doing' anything with knowledge: Zoology and Botany not Cattle-breeding or Agruculture. Even the Elves hardly show this: they are primarily artists.
Now, we can take this with a grain of salt or not. Is Tom's enigmatic nature (another explanation of him from Tolkien, Letter # 144) the result of this alien transposition into a tale not wholly suitable? Was Tolkien so taken with this idea of representing something disappearing from the modern world that he happily accepted the fact that Tom does not fit well? After all, the demand that all parts of a work of art cohere competely is not an absolute requirement, and one quite often neglected if not denigrated by nonsense and fantastical literatures. Yet if Tolkien were adamant and serious about this point that knowledge was becoming more and more mechanical and bent on domination, why did he choose to clothe it in a ridiculous figure which has drawn scorn and derision if not neglect?

(It is, I think, highly significant that on this thread we have had Fordim and Sauce indulge in some silly nonsense posts, yes, indeed it is, Silmiel of Imladris. But of course with a nod towards wit and cleverness.)

Clearly, I think, Tolkien wanted a character who was himself wholly 'other'. There are things that order and rationality cannot include. The passage I quoted above concludes with this observation:

Quote:
Also T.B. exhibits another point in his attitude to the Ring, and its failure to affect him. You must concentrate on some part, probably relatively small, of the World (Universe) whether to tell a tale, however long, or to learn anythig however fundamental--and therefore much will from that 'point of view' be left out, distorted on the circumference, or seem a discordant oddity. The power of the ring over all concerned, even the Wizards or Emissaries, is not a delusion--but it is not the whole picture, even of the then state and content of that part of the Universe.
Early in this thread Aiwendil made this observation about the worth of these three chapters, about why Tolkien did not excise them once he had straight in his mind what LotR was going to be about:

Quote:
Looking at it this way, what Tolkien does is present a series of minor incidents each of which alters the tension in some way. Most add to it, a little bit at a time. One detracts from it - which only makes its eventual reappearance more striking. And only at the very climax does anything actually happen . A mistake too many authors make is to think that the reader is conscious only of what is happening at the moment, so that they think a constant level of action must be maintained for the story to be interesting. Tolkien realizes that readers have a memory and also a sense of anticipation, so that each of the little incidents he presents adds to the tension.
Tolkien himself in the first extant reference in his Letters to Bombadil suggests that there was a narrative reason for including these three chapters. (My, I am doing a fair bit of quoting today.)

Quote:
Mr. Baggins began as a comic tale among conventional and inconsistent Grimm's fairy-tale dwarves, and got drawn into the edge of it--so that even Sauron the terrible peeped over the edge. And what more can hobbits do? They can be comic, but their comedy is suburban unless it is set against things more elemental. But the real fun about orcs and dragons (to my mind) was before their time. Perhaps a new (if similar) line? Do you think Tom Bombadil, the spirit of the (vanishing) Oxford and Berkshire countryside, could be made into the hero of a story? ...
This very early letter, before the sequel to the Hobbit was begun and while Tolkien was yet immersed in "the construction of elaborate and consistent mythology (and two languages)" shows Tolkien aware of the nature of narrative, of how to structure and organise events of a tale. Again, Tolkien appears to have been thinking of how to use Tom to contrast the hobbits and other events. Again, a recognition of how to use "the other" to set off his tale, even before it is written.

Having said all this in one post (that's what you get when I don't get around to posting on the thread for its entire week of life--you didn't think someone who constructed her entire RPG persona around Tom and Goldberry would not be here, did you?), I would like to return to davem comment about Goldberry.

davem wrote:

Quote:
This episode follows straight on from Tom's first encounter with Goldberry, who is also malicious
Well now, yes, Goldberry pulls Tom into the water. And she appears to be in line with other perils Tom faces, as davem has pointed out, Old Man Willow, the badger folk and the barrow wight. Yet does Tom fear her? Can we say he views her as malicious? Tom calls out to her, "You bring it back, you pretty maiden." From the first, he is aware of Goldberry's gender. And he returns to her, to capture her and take her away from her mother:

Quote:
Said Tom Bombadil: "Here's my pretty maiden!
You shall come home with me! The table is all laden
... Never mind your mother
in her deep weedy pool: there you'll find no lover!"
To me, there is little maliciousness here but much frisky play. Certainly, by the time we see Tom and Goldberry in The House of Bombadil, they have been much domesticated. This, however, is to jump ahead.

Oh, and, Evisse the Blue, I think you are right on about Tom's ability to make fun of himself. Maybe if Frodo had a little more sense of humour....

Last edited by Bęthberry; 08-01-2004 at 08:19 AM. Reason: durn codes
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote