View Single Post
Old 12-26-2002, 03:34 PM   #32
Willow
Pile O'Bones

Willow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Now that I finally read the Silmarillion, I can put my two cents in. Curiously, my opinion after reading the book is the same as that of three days ago, when I just read the replies.

I don't think it mattered. Wasn't the reason the Valar summoned the Quendi to Aman to protect them from Morgoth/Melkor, and so they would learn and grow and be companions to the Valar and stuff? If Melkor was laready evil, then it stands to reason that there would have been a confrontation eventually, and the elves would have been involved. Also, maybe it (the summons) did more good than harm. If a confrontation was inevitable, than it was good that the elves were brought over the sea because when they returned, they were able to discern that Melkor was evil, and if they ahd stayed maybe all of them would have turned into orcs (not likely but possible) like some of the Moriquendi did. Think of how much different the confrontation would have been if the elves had not been so committed against Morgoth, and more of them had fallen to evil. Also, if the elves had not gone to Aman, they would not have come back wiser and able to instruct men. Therefore, more men would have fallen to Morgoth, maybe all of them.