View Single Post
Old 06-27-2006, 03:50 PM   #74
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Speaking of Melian...
Quote:
"And she gave him a store of lembas, the waybread of the Elves, wrapped in leaves of silver, and the threads that bound it were sealed at the knots with the seal of the Queen...for according to the customs of the Eldalie the keeping and giving of lembas belonged to the Queen alone. In nothing did Melian show greater favour to Turin than in this gift; for the Eldar had never before allowed Men to use this waybread, and seldom did so again."
Also see Wikipedia

and

tolkienwiki

scroll down to The Peoples of Middle-earth (HoME XII) entry, esecially the line
Quote:
for according to the customs of the Eldalië the keeping and giving of lembas belonged to the Queen alone.
However, that would be trumped, I suppose, by the first line, "'This food the Eldar alone knew how to make. It was made for the comfort of those who had need to go upon a long journey in the wild, or of the hurt whose life was in peril. Only these were permitted to use it. The Eldar did not give it to Men, save only to a few whom they loved, if they were in great need."

And now I reallymust get to band practice.

Post band-practice edit: It was before me yet I saw it not...

Quote:
The lembas had a virtue without which they would long ago have lain down to die. It did not satisfy desire, and at times Sam’s mind was filled with the memories of food, and the longing for simple bread and meats. And yet, this way bread of the Elves had potency that increased as travelers relied upon it alone and did not mingle it with other foods. It fed the will, and it gave strength to endure, and to master sinew and limb beyond the measure of mortal kind.

Last edited by mark12_30; 06-27-2006 at 07:36 PM.