View Single Post
Old 12-14-2001, 10:14 PM   #6
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Quote:
This section of MT is basicly conserned with JRRTs problems of converting a flat earth mythology to a round earth mythology. The important word in the quote from Aiwendils post is 'INSIDE' - which reffers to Melkor and his spies problems of penetrating the Dome of Varda - If you abandon the round earth myth - then you will also have to abandon the Dome of Varda - or so I guess. Wherefore the part where Melkor submits willing - rather than the 'original' version where he fights Tulkas, champion of the Valar - in my opinion is rather vain and undramatic. Thoughts?
I must respectfully disagree. While much of MT is concerned with the conversion from flat earth to round earth, this particular essay seems to have little reference to it. The change in the story of the captivity of Melkor came about, I think, not from the round earth story but from the increasing power of Melkor and the story of his dissemination of power. The new story arose when JRRT realized that both Manwe and Melkor would realize at this point that Melkor himself had diminished as an individual. I don't think that the Dome of Varda really makes much of a difference - Valinor is a "vaunted fastness" whether protected by the Dome or merely by the Pelori and the power of the Valar.

[ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: Aiwendil ]
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote