View Single Post
Old 11-24-2002, 03:59 PM   #5
Man-of-the-Wold
Wight

Man-of-the-Wold has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Well, I'd like to sign up someday. What I couldn't quite discern is whether or not there is a Printable version of what has been done to date.

I know the Silmarillion Proper backwards & forwards, and the Unfinished Tales quite well, having read both over many years, along with bunches of other stuff, but I have only done the Lost Tales among the HoME, so far, and it may take a while to read the rest, unless I quit my job, 'cuz I'm a slow reader with very high recall.

I take the very broadest view in that I only consider something suppressed without clear evidence or contradictions to say that JRRT rejected, in the process of correctly translating the Red Book, of course. But my inclination is to find ways to not really reject very much from The Silmarillion proper and to be content with competing theories (e.g., Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins, etc., for which much is possible, but could only have ever really been known by Morgoth, and he ain't talkin')

The Lost Tales actually provide a lot of very interest detail -- in some cases -- although it reflects a very preliminary understanding by JRRT, and his struggle in figuring out how best to present and introduce the material, but much of it was clearly rejected, too.

Thanks.
The hoes unrecked in the fields were flung, __ and fallen ladders in the long grass lay __ of the lush orchards; every tree there turned __ its tangled head and eyed them secretly, __ and the ears listened of the nodding grasses; __ though noontide glowed on land and leaf, __ their limbs were chilled.
Man-of-the-Wold is offline   Reply With Quote