View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 07:59 PM   #79
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Thanks for teaching me something new. I appreciate it. Just a thought: might Tharonwe have thieved the recipe from Nimrodel? That could have interesting implications....
If it's there in her subconscious... then I imagine so.

The question is whether Nimrodel, as a Silvan Elf, would have had the recipe. Lembas is a SPECIFICALLY Noldorin/Sindarin concern in Middle-Earth, and one wonders if pre-Galadriel Lothlórien would have had Lembas. On the other hand, Galadriel dwelt for a time in Lórien after the fall of Eregion, and may have started the cultivation of Lembas-corn at that time. The question is whether or not this would only have been entrusted to those Elf-maidens of Sindarin descent (those of Noldorin descent being nearly nil) or whether the local Silvan Elves would have been recruited to assist. Either way seems likely, depending on whether one leans on a more supremacist, Noldor/Sindar first view of the Beleriandic Elves, or if one seems them in a more "missionary" light- which is yet another Eucharistic parallel.

If the latter, then it seems to me likely that Nimrodel would have been one of those who would have been a baker of Lembas. As the the betrothed of Amroth, in her last years in Lórien anyway, she would have very likely been one of those involved- and possibly Mithrellas as well.