View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #28
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
If Aragorn was of the same temperament and mind set as Boromir, he would have pushed for mutiny and the arrest of Gandalf if the latter did not change his mind on taking the Company through Moria. It is the Wolves who really saved the day for Gandalf generally speaking. Thankfully, Aragorn was not so easily corrupted by the Ring, and was much stronger mentally than Bormomir to be able to resist the Ring.
I'm not so sure of that. It seems to me that Boromir had accepted Aragorn as a Captain/leader. In like manner did Aragorn do so with Gandalf. I do not think he would think of going against Gandalf like that. He and Boromir were of the same mind, but remember what Aragorn had said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotR, bk. 2, ch. 4
You followed my lead almost to disaster in the snow, and have said no word of blame.
To me he was saying, "yea Moria may be dangerous and I have a foreboding of the place, but I myself almost got us all killed anyways so I can't protest too much accept to worry about you Gandalf."

I'm not sure an arrest would be the right word for what they would do had Aragorn decided to punish Gandalf. He obviously had no authority in that land anyway even if Arnor were still at its peak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appendix A; Eriador, Arnor, and the Heirs of Isildur
At its greatest Arnor included all Eriador, except the regions beyond the Lune, and the lands east of Greyflood and Loudwater, in which lay Rivendell and Hollin.
The Lune was the western borders where the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains and the Elves in Lindon lived. And east of the Loudwater includes a big chunk of land between that river and the mountains which includes Hollin where they were traveling before they went to Moria, and Moria itself. So even High King Aragorn had no real authority in that land. I think they could try to bind him if they so wanted but recall when Gandalf met them in Fangorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTT; The White Rider
He lifted up his staff and Gimli's axe leaped from his grasp and fell ringing on the ground. The sword of Aragorn, stiff in his motionless hand, blazed with a sudden fire. Legolas gave a great shout and shot an arrow high into the air; it vanished in a flash of flame.

<...>

Indeed my friends, none of you has any weapon that could hurt me.
I'm not sure that the Ring came into play here, influence-wise on the others from itself that is, in the choice to head to Moria. Gandalf certainly did not want to take the Ring anywhere near Saruman, and Moria he felt would not only mask their goings but perhaps they would run into friendlier folk.

Did the wolves make a vote unnecessary? I think so. I do think that Frodo would probably have taken Gandalf's lead anyways as he said he trusted in Gandalf's judgment. Even Aragorn, though against it, would have gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotR; Bk. 2, ch. 4
I will follow your lead now - if this last warning does not move you.

Last edited by Belegorn; 08-03-2014 at 01:46 PM.