View Single Post
Old 05-29-2002, 03:35 PM   #12
Kalessin
Wight

Kalessin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think you are right that the "triumph of good over evil" is neither exactly ultimate or perhaps explicitly enough a measure of Christian sensibility. It arose in discussion on the Trilogy and Bible thread, out of the rather vague notion that "since LotR is about Good and Evil, that makes it Christian". Opposition to this idea included the equally problematic notion that "Good and Evil operate the same way in all religions". Out of this debate came what seemed to me at the time a distinguishing feature of Tolkien's stories. But I accept your point that this is in fact relative.

The 'contradiction' of Evil arising from Good is explicitly mentioned by Tolkien in his letter to Milton Walden (which prefaces my copy of The Silmarillion). He says that it is indeed a contradiction, and a recurrent theme in his works. On other threads here some have attempted to apply a comprehensive or universal casual rationality to Tolkien's cosmology - which is an interesting exercise - but this contradiction cannot be resolved without reference to either new age 'dark and light coexisting', or the somehow Darwinian 'evil is necessary to test good'. It seems to me that the parallel with the Christian causal conundrum is a fair one.

Thank you Sharon [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I agree that there is a pathos and moral depth in LotR that can resonate powerfully across denominations (and outside them). We have to acknowledge his craft as a writer, and also the conscientious devotion and attentiveness to his storytelling. This is why LotR is a great book. And all perspectives - historical, personal, literary, academic, philosophical etc. - have a value in the discussion! I respect and enjoy your posts [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Littleman, please explain your "no deus ex machina in the eucatastrophe" in laymans terms (for my humble benefit) ... I thought I was meant to be the opaque one here [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Peace

[ May 29, 2002: Message edited by: Kalessin ]