View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
“I’m glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee…here at the end of all things.”
And I thought we'd never have this line as Frodo used half of it at the end of the Fellowship. Very pleased to hear it here.

Quote:
Lucky that that path was there, though it wasn’t put there for the exclusive use and benefit of one Sam Gamgee. For whom, actually, it was made and more importantly maintained, I’m not sure
but as it's the same as in the book, then I am happy.

Quote:
The Slinker beat them to the mountaintop, and from atop a rock jumps down upon Sam and Frodo.
I feel a bit cheated that this is the last 'extended' bit of the Trilogy, and PJ didn't add anything to the EE version from here

Quote:
Suddenly an Eagle appears and attacks the approaching Winged Nazgûl. Air support for the good guys!
I don't mind Pippin taking the immortal line that he only hears in the book. But a pity we don't see Pippin 'die' here as we think he does when we read the book for the first time. (I remember putting the book down and balling my eyes out for AGES when I thought he had died) - And I have put forward on one of the book threads a while back that he DID die, but was brought back to life after the Ring was destroyed........

Quote:
Anyway, Sam sees through the smoke that, at the very edge, at the Edge of Doom, Frodo stands and looks back. For the moment, he’s still Frodo, but that’s about to change.
I love the line "I'm here Sam" - one of the best delivered and 'creepiest' lines in the trilogy.

Quote:
Frodo slowly goes to place the Ring upon his finger.
I love the look on his face before he puts the Ring on. So creepy.

Quote:
Frodo’s footprints can be seen walking towards Sam, which is silly as in what medium are they being shown? Dust? Then where are the ones from Frodo’s initial walk? Damp earth? Whatever.
Picky!!!!

Quote:
Frodo and Gollum fight and fall over the edge.....Gollum takes a moment to melt.
As Sir Kohran states, the Ring was protecting Gollum.

The darkness of addiction, methinks. Frodo makes one attempt to take Sam’s helping hand, but blood keeps his hand from holding Sam’s. It seems, for a moment, that Frodo gives into despair, and would rather be dead with his Precious than alive without it. Sam’s hope finally passes into Frodo, who then takes his hand. Note that, in the Fellowship of the Ring, it was Frodo that saved Sam from drowning in the Anduin, so we’ve come full circle there.

Quote:
Finally, now that Frodo has made his decision, and has let the Ring go - also somewhat like Bilbo who let the One Ring behind on the floor of Bag End - the Ring dissolves and washes away.
I think the Scritwriter's mentioned this. It finally sank into the Lava once Frodo made his choice to give it up and live.

Quote:
The joy of Frodo’s success is quickly turned to sorrow for his friends as they realize that Frodo (and Sam) obviously sacrificed himself to complete the quest.
Yes, very well acted here. Frodo! Frodo!

Quote:
He and Sam await the inevitable as they sit on an island amidst the calamity of the mountain.....Even knowing what’s going to happen, it’s sad as these two have given all that others may have fresh earth to till.
Exactly. This still leaves a tear in my eye every time I watch this scene. I know they survive, but they go through the PAIN of thinking, nay knowing, they are going to die. So sad.

Quote:
The eagles grab and carry our two heroes away, and Frodo still lives as he flies above the ruins of Mount Doom, as if in a dream.
Notice there are 3 of the Eagles? The other one was for Gollum......
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote