View Single Post
Old 06-15-2004, 07:05 PM   #363
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Uien and Falowik

Our idea is currently that Uien and Falowik arrive in Lorien one day after Amroth's party have left. The reason for their arrival, ostensibly, is so that Uien can show Falowik her homeland. The background to these two is that this man and this elf woman have fallen in love, and after wrestling with the difficulties of cross-race matches, Falowik has decided that their unionis worth far more than the pain of the eventual separation by death. Falowik has chosen against feeling guilty that he will be the one to die first; for her part, Uien has foresworn her immortality, but of course remains an Elf, thus following in the steps of Luthien.

When Uien and Falowik hear of Amroth and his search, the story strikes close to home for Uien, for she was also left behind, and left for lost in the mountains, and she will see visions not unlike Amroth's own, but from her own perspective. Maybe (I don't know, just speculating now), there is some relation between Uien's family and Nimrodel's, that allows her to dream of Nimrodel's actual current condition. Just a thought. Tell me if I'm way off on that. At any rate, Uien will be urgent to catch up to Amroth, and Falowik will, of course, come with.