View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 06:53 PM   #17
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
‘Sauron!’ Riv’s gruff whisper rasped out across the uneasy silence that followed in the wake of Skald’s words. ‘Mahal take him indeed!’ It was all he could do not to jump from his chair and run down the paths to the chambers where Unna and Leifr were quartered. His mind told him they were safe, hidden deeply in the lower caverns with many stout guards placed along the way to bar intruders. But his heart, beating fast now in anger mixed with dread against the Dark Lord, made him want to rush with his mattock and war hammer to defend the entrance to his wife and son’s chambers.

His wife’s face, her brows raised at him came to the fore of his mind. He could almost hear her, as she admonished him gently. ‘You’re right . . . you’re right!’ he said to her fading image. ‘You two are well protected. The King will close the doors tightly to Khazad-dum should any threaten us. And I should be getting on with my own task. Lend the use of my axe and hammer to bring the Elves from the Golden Wood to the City of the Smiths.’

‘Let him come!’ he growled deep in his chest. He brought his thick fist crashing down onto the table’s top. ‘Let him come, the overblown pup of the Dark Lord with his misbegotten Orcs and men. My hammer will make the river run red with their foul blood.’

Riv looked up from his cup, realizing he had been speaking aloud to himself, and gathered his wits about him. ‘Well this brings us a new vein to mine, doesn’t it?’ he said to his brothers and uncle. ‘We must be even more careful now we know the rotter behind things. There should be more Dwarves in our party, I think. Some to guard the eastern gates until we can bring the Elves into the caverns.’ He looked carefully at each of the others. ‘If there are Orcs that try to enter while we are fetching the Elves from the Dimrill Dale, the gates will have to be closed against them. We could be cut off for a while, before we can re-enter. What do you think? How many shall we bring? And full battle gear, I think, eh? Especially once we leave the safety of the mountains.’