View Single Post
Old 02-11-2003, 05:58 PM   #54
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that Maril's long post in this thread last year presciently covered most of the reasons why TTT did not do better than it did in the nominations.<P>Even so, it is indeed something that this middle film of a story picked up the Best Picture nomination, despite Hollywood's disinclination to recognize greatness.<P>On that subject, does anyone else feel that the Trilogy will earn a place much like <B>Gone With The Wind</B> or <B>Citizen Kane</B>, which is to say, movies that will likely NEVER be remade. Peter Jackson, perhaps for as long as movies are watched, has directed the definitive cinematic adaptation of LORD OF THE RINGS. No one else will ever try again.<P>Someone mentioned editing mistakes and bloopers. Also narrative in the midst of the film. I saw no bloopers, not even yesterday when the Mrs and I watched it at the matinee again.<P>I cannot help but think, especially after seeing the superiority of the Extended Version over the Theatrical Release of FOTR, that editing decisions will be remedied and the story will flow better in the TTT Extended Release. Really looking forward to that and quite glad of the opportunities afforded us by cutting edge modern media. Of course, it means that poor Peter Jackson has to edit SIX movies!<P>Oh, and someone didn't like Fran Walsh's writing. I don't know how (perhaps there's a way) to tell her writing from the others, but listening to the Writers Commentary on FOTR, I thought that she perhaps of the three best understood Tolkien's spirit of thought in many matters and did the most to bring the screenplay ever back to the words the professor wrote.<p>[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Gilthalion ]