View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 02:34 PM   #451
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Kara returned from the Hall, bearing the empty trays she had taken the food in on. Well-schooled in the art of accidentally overhearing conversations, having been under Frodides' tutelage the past few weeks, she had meandered around the room for a while, looking busy. She had, therefore, caught much of the conversation focused on the kitchen, a subject of great interest to her it being her workplace, and one she thought Frodides would be glad to know about as well.

Disappearing through the door she quickly made her way back to the kitchens.

"It seems we are to be moved." She said, placing the trays on the side to be washed, waiting for the coming questions. She didn't have to wait long.

"Moved? Where to? And on who's authority?" The strong voice began with curiosity, but swiftly changed into a defiant tone.

Quickly filling her in on the plans that were being discussed Kara waited to see whether Frodides would rather wait for a decision and then argue it, or interfere now. She had noticed that the older cook seemed to have little fear when it came to Eodwine, and although she still treated him with the respect he was due, there was still an air of familiarity that spoke of a time when their roles weren't quite as far removed. However, whatever friendship Frodides had for the Eorl it wasn't about to stop her getting involved in discussions about what she still termed 'her' kitchen, though the odd 'our' was thrown in on occasion if Kara was in the room.

"Are you coming, girl?" Frodides' voice pulled her from her musings and she raised her eyes to see another pair fixed on her, equally demanding and questioning. Knowing she wouldn't hear the end of it if she didn't go, Kara followed Frodides out of the room, hanging back as they reached the Hall, and watched as her mentor strolled right up to the table and spoke her mind.

"Am I to understand that you are discussing my new kitchen without me?"

There was a moment of silence as the men adjusted to the new appearance, and Frodides didn't let the chance to speak go to waste.

"My Lord," She began turning to Eodwine, "as much as I respect you I think it was a great discourtesy on your part not to include those who work in your kitchens when discussing arrangements for their renewal or relocation."

Kara saw that Eodwine had the grace to look a little contrite, but was sure she saw a smile being hidden behind the hand that was raised to his mouth.

"And you, master stonemason. I understand that you wish to move my kitchens further from the Hall than they are now. Do I have that right?"

With an uneasy glance at the others Garstan nodded slowly, seemingly a little wary of admitting to this apparent sin.

"Then I offer you a deal." Frodides continued, beginning to build up a bit of steam. "If you can cook a meal where these new kitchens are to be placed and deliver it to this room as piping hot and carefully set out as it was when you set off then I won't say a word against moving. But you mark my words it won't be possible."

Without waiting for an answer from the man she whisked round to direct the same glare at Eodwine.

"That goes for you as well, my Lord. You've been in my kitchens many a time and know the work we do, we don't have time to go traipsing through corridors. Safety is important, you won't get an argument from me there after that roof collapsed on me, but good service is important too and you'll get less of that the further you move us. So my good Eorl what is it to be? There are ways to keep fires safe as I believe I heard our carpenter say, and they don't cause me to leave ovens unattended in my kitchen while I walk miles to serve food."

Finishing her little speech Frodides nodded and folded her arms across her chest, awaiting her reply. Observing the faces around her she decided to compromise a little.

"I'll say nothing against making it bigger though. The girl and I can hardly move for falling over each other as it is."