View Single Post
Old 08-21-2004, 10:11 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Good topic

This is an interesting topic you have Fordhim. Your point about Boromir-Faramir, Faramir-Eowyn...etc is a good observation and I would like to expand on it.

With Faramir and Boromir, they are basically complete opposites, well not total opposites but they have opposite characteristics. Boromir is the strong, broad fighter, Faramir is more like his father, wiser, uses cunning, more brains then bronze. Faramir is a comprable fighter but not one of Boromir's stature. Put them together they make a whole.

A little in depth on how Boromir effected Faramir, was with the "ring." Faramir has the ring within his grasps? Right? Yet he did the noble thing and declined it, in fact flat out rejected it. Now, this has been debated many times, but why did Faramir reject the ring? Some say he had more numenorean blood, others say he was wiser then Boromir, since I mean as Denethor puts it was "Gandalf's pupil." My theory is Faramir learned from Boromir's mistake. Faramir held Boromir above anyone in Gondor, thought he was the greatest. When he discovered Boromir had fallen to the ring and died because of it, he most likely in all that time of "thinking" he did, said well if the ring kill such a man as Boromir, I can only imagine what it would do to me, I don't even want to see it. But, anyway that's my theory on things.

I think you're right the whole Eowyn sort of steps into Faramir's life and fills that "Boromir" spot, and fills it more then a brother would, I will say, lol. She has many of the same qualities as Boromir, great fighter, has to be to be able to slay the Witch-King (although wouldn't have done it without Merry) and of course she loves fighting.

I don't really know if this is off topic but I'm going to say it anyway. There's this deep bond between Aragorn and Eomer (that the movie doesn't show well and I wish it had).

When they first meet, Aragorn is on what I would think the "brink of insanity." Boromir just died, Merry and Pippin were captured (and very well could have been dead), Frodo and Sam just sort of left, so Aragorn was really doubting his decisions and wish he hadn't of taken command, was actually wishing that Gandalf hadn't of "died." Eomer at this time, is probably knowingly, about to be thrown in the slammer. Yet you see these two SOON TO BE KINGS create a bond, Eomer says he will let Aragorn look for his friends, and take the horses, if he promises to bring the "sword" to Rohan. Which Aragorn does. I think this bond sets the stage for the strong, future, friendship between Rohan and Gondor. Eventhough, they are about to be named King (Eomer unknowingly) they had a lot of "learning" to do, and benefitted from eachother. In the end you see that friendship, and that leadership, between the two. After Theoden's death Eomer rallies the Rohirrim, Aragorn comes with 50 ships of men following him, and when they meet on Pelennor, my favorite line of the book...

Eomer: Let this be the hour when we draw swords together.

That is the point when I believe their true "kingship" quality shows. I would believe without one of them, the other wouldn't have succeeded.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote