View Single Post
Old 01-11-2022, 06:35 AM   #545
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Wheeeeee! Perfection. ^.^ Thanks for adjusting them.
No problem. ^_^

Quote:
Meanwhile, I have been studying Heart a little bit ... It's a weird song - it's like it wants to repeat, but it actually doesn't have that many truly repetitive sections. It's weird. But what I can say is I think I've been underappreciating Amarie in that actress's performance, biased by either V1 or her handful of nonsensical lines. She is actually really good, and sings very well, and I like her music.
It is an odd one. I feel like a lot of the new songs are - "Meeting" jumps around a lot in key, and "Wind" is... well, yeah. But I'm really looking forward to it, and Celebestel and I agree that it would be really nice to do it as a duet if possible.

Quote:
... realized we haven't really followed the rhyming scheme or meter in a couple places. However, on further consideration, I think that it's not critical for us to follow them exactly, it should still sound ok. The meter might be a little weird, but might not... I will have to sketch, and then we'll see.
Yeah, this is another one I wrote pretty much by ear. Let's see... Google Translate lets me hack together a transliteration of the Russian, from which I *think* the rhyme scheme should look like this:

FINROD: AAB
AMARIE: CCB < Or are these lines both ABC? тебе/утрате and хребет/предатель look like they should be rhyming couples, but the overall structure disagrees, and if you swallow the final consonants then they would work as тебе/хребет & утрате/предатель.

FINROD: ABC
AMARIE: ABC

FINROD: AB
AMARIE: AB

FINROD/AMARIE/BOTH: ABC

AMARIE: ABC ABD

FINROD/AMARIE/BOTH: AB(D)C < 'D' being слова, which acts like the end of a line while technically not being one.

I think the only places I break this scheme in the translation are the first set - assuming they're meant to be ABC/ABC - and the very last B, if you don't accept him/did as a rhyme. But it's not much worse than the other rhymes I've forced in there. ^_^

Let's see if I can hack together an ABC/ABC for the first set...

FINROD:
Speak, oh my heart: [now] back to thee I am turning
What can I sing, to forget what's lost to me
And to preserve you in peace?

AMARIE:
Crimson the night has passed over mountains undying
Speak, oh my heart: do you begin to betray me?
Why won't you speak unto me?

But I haven't a clue about the syllable counts; I feel like we already added some (that 'now' in the first line), and I know I tend to leave a lot of silent beats in this song. As in all things musical, I seek your guidance.

Speak, G-5-5: now I am turning to thee!
What should I sing to preserve Russian rhyming
And find the meter I seek?

hS