View Single Post
Old 08-16-2003, 02:45 PM   #10
Måns
Haunting Spirit

Måns has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Huh? Stayed open? Have there been any discussion carried out in a not so nice tone here? I hope I am not involved in taht, unknowingly, what else. I really don't care if you use capitol letters or no, simply put the word is still a word and in teh eyes of Tolkien, there could only be one God or god or god-like creature, even though the valar knew him better than men they were not Gods or gods or Godesses or godesses. One could say that men were more like Gods /gods since they ahd the power to create, in difference from the valar.

Måns

By the way, I appreciate that vote with a number one rating, I like such mature behaviour.

And Gwaihir, I am opposed to you calling htem god, not calling eagles angels, and I would appreciate some change in attitude.
Moreover, they can not be likened to the Greeek deities (not roman, the roman Gods were not personified), for several features. This comes out strongly if you read the theogony and Wor and Days by Hesiodos, the in ancient times greatest authority on the subject. The likeness you are talking aboiut exists only on the very uttermost surface. Zeus and his likes are not created, they are born, but still they have the power to create Zeus is the ruler of the world and at the top of the divine order, Manwë cannot be. Then, the valar are missing very human sides that the Greek gods have, they may indeed seem more distant and noble. If you haven't read anything by Hesiodos, I strongly recommend you go to a well-sorted bookstore, I think he is called Hesiod in the vulgar tongue.

Måns

[ August 17, 2003: Message edited by: Måns ]

Edit: Invitations for conflict won't be tolerated

[ August 18, 2003: Message edited by: Legolas ]

Josef Stalin