Thread: Fantasy
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 03:44 AM   #19
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
Its a long piece, but well worth reading. The important bit for this discussion is the depiction of the battle.
You're right, that's an excellent description of Towton (and medieval battle in general). The biggest battle ever to be fought on English soil is also one of the least known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
You won't find that sort of thing in Tolkien. But should we? Tolkien avoids graphic depictions of actual warfare, but are we to imagine the horrors of Towton taking place in Middle-earth? Or are the battles there 'fantasy' battles? Tolkien placed a high value on 'Escape' as a function of fantasy literature, but is it not dangerous (or at least seriously misleading) to romanticise Towton into Pelennor Fields?

Or to put it another way - Tolkien cast a 'Faery' glamour over the woods & hills & peopled his world with gods, Elves & monsters, & I think we're better for being exposed to that vision. But are we better for his casting that same glamour over the battlefield?
One could say that Tolkien was not one to glorify war (although his works are full of it); however, let us say rather that he minimized the savagery of war in his decriptions of battles (to the point at the Battle of Five Armies we miss the action nearly altogether). I think this harkens back to Tolkien being more of a chivalric, rather than modern writer. We don't see great big bloody scenes with arms and legs lopped off in Sir Walter Scott either (although Tolstoy painted some grim pictures).

Is it misleading and dangerous? Well, I suppose in giving a romanticized picture of battle Tolkien might not have been doing anyone any favors, but then again offering a truly graphic and horrifying depiction of battle might have precluded me from reading his books to my children (just like I won't let them see Schindler's List until they have reached an age where they can comprehend the enormity and true terror of that important film).

I suppose it all depends on the audience you wish to reach.