View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 05:25 AM   #54
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

This is not intended to stir the boiling pot further, but to correct a few lingering misconceptions. Please understand that.

First, something that I meant to say earlier. The Werewolf dispute that arose earlier this year has, from what I have seen, at times been conflated with the current issue. They are not related, but the former is instructive. It involved a disagreement between members which became heated. I attempted to resolve it because that is what mods do in these situations. I believe that it was successfully resolved and that, in my view, is because those involved took a sensible approach to the requests and suggestions that were made in the interests of harmony, even though they may not entirely have agreed with every point that was made. Unfortunately, despite best efforts, there are some issues which cannot be resolved in that way.

Now, to those continuing misconceptions.

There seems to be a continuing view that this issue arose because davem was attacking Chrisitianity and/or the positions of some of those participating in the thread. Although it has been said many, many times, it cannot be emphasised enough. This was not the case. The issue arose because of the abrasive and disrespectful manner in which he did so, ridiculing and mocking rather than constructively debating and discussing. That this was the issue was made crystal clear to davem on a number of occasions (not least my own posts on the thread), so I really do not think that he could have been under any illusion as to the basis for the requests that were made and the warnings that were given. There was no “favouring” or “protecting” one side at the expense of the other. If you want a good example of someone who continued to challenge the positions taken in the thread by those looking for Biblical parallels in a respectful, calm and constructive manner, I can do little better than point you to the majority of Lalwendë’s posts in that thread.

Boromir88, as I have said the fact that davem’s posts were considered disrespectful and, in some cases, offensive by the mods and admins involved and did in fact give offence is, I believe, sufficient justification for the warnings that were given and, indeed, the temporary ban. Had they been heeded, the matter would have gone no further. I make no bones about the fact that davem’s continued references back to the thread after he had left it were taken to be in defiance of the basis upon which those warnings were given, as well as continuing the earlier course of conduct against which he had been warned. I also have no doubt that they were intended that way. The thing is that, if we get to the stage where polite and reasonable requests to refrain from certain conduct contrary to forum policies made by those tasked with enforcing them are simply ignored, that would not, in my view, bode well for this little community that we have all referred to. By all means, the reasonableness or otherwise of those requests can be discussed and debated privately and any representations in that regard will be listened to and carefully considered (as, indeed, occurred here), but where there is a clear indication that they will simply be ignored, few options are left. It is not a matter of pride or ego, but simply one of trying to maintain the Downs as it is and as it has always been.

Afraid that something that you say may give offence? Well, you have no cause for concern unless you do so repeatedly, in which case you may receive a polite request from a moderator or administrator not to do so. Ever received such a warning? No? Then you have absolutely no reason to fear. Just keep posting in the way that you have always done.

Can I forgive and forget? Well, it would be rather difficult after some of the things that I have seen said about me on some of the private blogs discussing this matter. I do not discount it as a possibility, though. Will I apologise for anything that I have said or done? No, I am afraid that I will not. I am absolutely clear in my mind that, save to the extent that I have already apologised in my earlier post, I have done nothing that requires an apology. However, I am no longer a moderator and I was, in any event, looking to scale down my involvement in the Downs. So, in all the circumstances, my own personal views are not really the issue. They are certainly less important than the continued and prosperous existence of the Downs. I have done all that I feel that I can reasonably be expected to do to further that aim.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 10-26-2006 at 05:33 AM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote