View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Day 1, 4520 Valian time

As the music faded the Maiar awoke in the deep darkness of their dungeon. At first most of them thought they were being dumped alone into that sorrowful night, but little by little they started sensing others around them in the darkness. Just as a few of the bravest ones were trying to make contact to others a new music started to emerge; eerily disturbing, intense, horrifying… And then there was the glimmer of light up above them accompanied by the deep voice of Melkor himself.

“Welcome to Utumno you lower spirits. Ever heard music like that?” That seemed to be a rhetorical question as he followed suite.

“You are all probably well versed with the story of the Ainulindalë? But you don’t know what really happened, or what was my actual part in there... Or has someone of you been told about that?” That for sure was yet another rhetorical question.

“Of course not… Iluvatar is so in love with himself and his precious “all-mighty game” that he doesn’t want to tell you how my powers rival his. He is afraid of telling you the truth!” Melkor made an artsy pause, letting the meaning of his words hammer in.

“And here's the secret: not all in the creation is the making of his… Actually I even turned his faithful pet-smith Aulë to work for my ends disobeying him, “the Mighty”. Hah, that petty thing... But the most splendid seed that I planted in the original Music has now started to bear fruit. Do you know what Aulë did? He created living beings with a soul like you – but they are MORTAL!” Melkor bellowed the last words so loud that the Maiar were screaming with pain, holding on to their ears.

“You know what mortality means? It means dying, it means wholly ceasing to exist, it means not being anymore, it means being reduced to nothingness… and the Middle-Earth will be filled with mortal souls in the future; millions of souls dying, disappearing into the void of non-being… and that is MY CREATION!”

The Maiar were shocked. That was unheard of, unbelievable, and more or less impossible to even get to grips with as an idea. Melkor was the great trickster, but they couldn’t disprove his words either.

“So the music you heard while you slept, you now ask? What has all this to do with you?” There was another rhetorical pause. The horror of what this all would mean was making the Maiar tremble. After a longer pause Melkor finally made the announcement.

“You are mortals now… you proud Maiar have been reduced to mortal beings! You will not live forever, but only the time you manage to stay alive. And that time will be up to you. If you survive this dungeon of mine you will live, for a century, a millennia or two, well whatever time you’d live… but in the end you will die and your souls will be sent into oblivion, into a limbo of nothingness.”

Some of the Maiar were already falling into despair while others showed a brave or even defiant face – but four of them grinned maliciously admiring their master’s artful execution of the intro.

“But you may die fast and furiously much sooner… And here’s the deal for you. There are four of my servants with you and they will kill some of you during the periods I put a spell of sleep on you. During the times you are awake, you should then decide who the perpetrators are and try to get rid of them… If you manage to spot all my servants, those still living may go free to live your limited lives as you see fit. But if you do not succeed, the death will meet you here in my dungeon and you’ll never see the light of Valinor anymore, or the twilight of the Middle-Earth – or any other light. You will see nothing as you will not be anymore.”

Melkor disappeared with a flash which blinded everyone for a moment.

~*~

As the effect of the sudden burst of light waned and the Maiar’s eyes got used to the darkness again they realized that it was not pitch dark anymore. There was a shallow yellowish-greenish light everywhere around them. In the dim lighting they were for the first time able to see each other. Seeing many familiar faces around was a great joy… and a deep sorrow at the same time. For a moment they just stared at each other as their feelings went on with their own inner rollercoaster-ride.

Suddenly a cry broke the silence.

“Hey, everyone! Look at this! There is writing on the wall!” Valier yelled.

“I’m here to help you out! – I’ll dream the traitors out!” , the Blind Guardian spelled the text from the wall.

“So not all hope is lost! – I will protect you!” Skip read aloud the handwriting that was written under the first one.

“”Like it or not, but I’m not going down alone…”, now what does this mean?” Lottie wondered after reading the third writing.

“What about this: “Go Melkor!”?” Lommy shook her head discovering a fourth one from the next wall.

The Maiar, alive:

Eomer of the Rohirrim - An associate of Ossë, speciality: lochs and ponds, great alliance with frogs
elronds_daughter - A spirit of no-nonsense
Macalaure - Carmótar, the Maia of housework
Shastanis Althreduin - A spirit of water
Loslote - A spirit of sunshine and rainbows
Kitanna - A spirit of all things unimaginative
wilwarin538 - Belongs to Vána, cares for all the small garden dwelling, winged creatures
Nessa Telrunya - The patron of town criers across the world
Pitchwife - Tender of Oromë's dogs
Satansaloser2005 - A spirit of ducks, muffins and cookies
Inziladun - A vassal of Námo, serving as a warden in Mandos
Rikae - A spirit in charge of silicon & static electricity
Boromir88 - A Maia of Mandos, the interpretter of dreams
A Little Green - A spirit in charge of aliens, hummingbirds and farming
Blind Guardian - A spirit of evil ways
Skip Spence - A follower of Aule with an avid interest in behavioural sciences
Mänwe - A spirit of short acquintances
Valier - A handmaiden of Yavanna, collecting the morning dew from the petals of flowers
Legate of Amon Lanc - A Maia associated with the unfathomed depths of the world's seas but also with the waters surrounding Arda in the outer space...
Thinlómien - A maia who lives in Lórien and paints the dreams of those sleeping there
Aganzir - Aka. Firebeck, a spirit of fire
Ozban - Yavanna's underling with inferiority complex. Caretaker of undergrowth and small bushes in general, especially blackberries
Caílin - A spirit of secrecy
Kath - A spirit of nostalgy

DAY 1 has started.

D1 will last for 36 hours and will end on 4.1. at 10PM GMT/UTC (5PM EST).

Last edited by Nogrod; 01-03-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote