View Single Post
Old 08-28-2003, 02:24 AM   #31
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Posted by Lindil:
Quote:
Ultimately I see this DoD issue [especially Thingol's death] as a question of 2 competing views;

1- do we want to imrove on the 77 and have the best possible [and longest/largest] literary 'Silmarillion'.

Or

2- the most 'pure' 'Silm' using JRRT's older ideas and material over CJRT's even when it is in total chaos.

The Principles and stated member goals seem to allow for both, so we have to choose.
I would in any case vote for 2. 1 is in my viiew only an opption if we can't manage 2 at all (and that seems not to be the case in DoD, as far as I can see).

Posted by Aiwendil:
Quote:
But perhaps we should put the Ruin of Doriath aside and focus on finishing the Fall of Gondolin. What we do not need is to be deeply embroiled in the two most troublesome chapters at the same time.
Alas - I have to agree to this. The working speed is slow enough if we only try to do one chapter at a time (even to slow for some as it seems).

But as it is, the beginning of the discussion were anything is possible, were the storyline is under discussion and were the mayor problems are solved is the most interesting part. The hard and tieresome discussion of little bits and details of textual changes are only done by people really devotet to the task.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote