View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 11:03 AM   #15
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I agree that it is becaue the magic used in LotR and Harry Potter are of a different sort. For examle, Galadriel's "For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy." The magic in Harry Potter is much closer to what most people would call witch craft or black magic, even if it is not. The wizardry in LotR is much more conservative than it is in HP.

I am a Christian, and I have nothing against Harry Potter, though I have never felt any inclination to read the books or watch the movie. Many of my (Christian) friends have read the books and seen the movie. I think that as long as you take it for the fiction it is, it is fine.

Note: As I have not read the books I have tried not to say anything that is not true about them, and I am mostly going by what I have heard other people say.

As for C.S. Lewis, I think that The Chronicles of Narnia are generally accepted, and as Kransha pointed out, even studied.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote