View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 06:18 PM   #25
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Quote:
For a bit of a second I thought of calling Turgon "tall among the children of the World". But that does also sound not really good.
I don't want cut the sentence out since it does provide something to the picture. Why don't we go the same way as we did with Penlod? That would mean to change the group addressed in the comparison? At least we could call Turgon "tallest of the Gondolindrim." And we might even find a better group. What's about "tallest of the children of the World of this time save Thingol"?
The problem is that at that time, Thingol was already dead. For me it is out of the question to use again ""tallest of the Gondolindrim", simply because we have used it before. I would rather stick with my compromise with the footnote.

I would like to propose the following:
Originally FG-T-23 is:
Quote:
.{"}[']<QS77 {and}[And] upon the King's right hand there stood Maeglin his sister-son, but upon his left hand sat Idril Celebrindal his daughter> <TO {and that it was to be emphasized, either when Tuor first set eyes upon Idril or at some earlier point, that} [and at the sight of her Tuor marvelled, for] he had known or even seen few woment in his life. Most of the women and all the children of Annael's company in Mithrim were sent away south; and as a thrall Tuor had seen only the proud and barbarous women of the Easterlings, who treated him as a beast, or the unhappy slaves forced to labour from childhood, for whom he had only pity.>
I would like to add to it, this bit of the LQ2 already proposed by jallanite i think:
FG-T-23:
Quote:
[']<QS77 {and}[And] upon the King's right hand there stood Maeglin his sister-son, but upon his left hand sat Idril Celebrindal his daughter < LQ2 [,whose hair was as the gold of Laurelin ere the coming of Morgoth. ]>> <TO {and that it was to be emphasized, either when Tuor first set eyes upon Idril or at some earlier point, that} [At the sight of her Tuor marvelled, for] he had known or even seen few woment in his life. Most of the women and all the children of Annael's company in Mithrim were sent away south; and as a thrall Tuor had seen only the proud and barbarous women of the Easterlings, who treated him as a beast, or the unhappy slaves forced to labour from childhood, for whom he had only pity.>
What do you think?