View Single Post
Old 06-25-2003, 05:52 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Wren's post

Lessawen hopped out of bed eager to begin her day, for tomarrow would be her day off and these days always seemed to fly by. She dressed hurriedly in a simple grey dress with a white pinafore over the top. It had large pockets for holding her tools of the trade like cleaning cloths, combs, brushes, even toys for when she was helping in the nursery.

Today she skipped down to the kitchen to grap a quick bite to eat and help the cook prepare breakfast. She chatted chearfully with the kindly woman about her plans for the morrow. "I have learned of a park with a pond where swans and ducks can enjoy the water. I'm going to take my lunch for a picnic." She watched as the cook carefully took her bread from the oven, and set it on the wide countertop. Then Lessawen found a knife and began to slice the bread for the cook. Grinning at the older women and enjoying the smells of the fresh bread, she slathered the newly cut pieces with sweet butter. She helped the cook load up serving trays with many different kinds of fruit, not dishes, cold dishes, milk, cream, juice and wine.

Then she ran back upstairs to see if she was needed. The lady of the household was awake and needing some help with her buttons. She smiled when she saw Lessawen, because the new girl had proven herself to be gentle and careful in her attentions. Once she had the lady all buttoned up she began to brush her hair, being very careful not to pull too hard on the tangles, then she divided the woman's hair into two sections, braided each section and styled them in coils around her head.

When all of the ladies had dressed and there hair was fixed and combed to their satisfaction, Lessawen could begin her cleaning of the rooms. She carefully made the big beds. Plumping the pillows, and putting away the nightclothes. She carefully dusted the beautiful furniture with a clean white cloth, when it shining and gleaming. Then she cleaned the fireplace's ashes of the previous night. Scooping them into her bucket was a messy buisiness, and she often needed to clean herself when she was done.

Now it was time to turn her attentions to the floors. She swept up the dust which inevitably gets tracked in, and then it was time to mop. Getting down to her hands and she knees she wiped the entire floor's surface with a moistend cloth. She worked her way towards the door. With this room finished she made her way to the next. Thinking to herself, "Only nine more to go!"

[ June 29, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]