View Single Post
Old 06-25-2003, 05:54 PM   #12
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Horse-Maiden of the Shire's post

Meirelle awoke to another maid shaking her roughly by the shoulder. "Miss Meirelle! Meirelle! You're late for your duties!" she exclaimed, now resorting to slapping her face lightly.

Meirelle groaned and pushed the maid off of the bed, resulting in a thud on the floor. "I know," she said hotly. "Besides, I'm only..." her words trailed off as she looked at the clock in her quarters. "Half an hour?!?!? Oh, cram!!" Meirelle leapt out of bed, stepping on the maid who was still sprawled out on the floor. She grabbed her dress and hastily put it on. She quickly braided her hair into a single braid and grabbed her shoes that were sitting by the door.

Meirelle hopped down the hallway as she put on first her left, then her right shoe. She turned the corner and ran into yet another maid, who said, "Oh! You're late, Meirelle!" Her response was a grumbled "I know, I know..." She finally got to the main room, and slipped in quietly. Luckily nobody seemed to notice that she was gone, so she heaved a silent sigh of relief and relaxed.

"Make way for Finduilas, bride-to-be of Denethor II, son of Ecthelion!" A man's voice pierced the air sharply. Meirelle was jostled and shoved as people moved aside to make room for the Lady. Meirelle had to stand on her toes to look over peoples' shoulders. She hadn't caught the slightest glance of Finduilas yet, but when she did she drew in her breath sharply. Finduilas was no doubt a beauty among beauties. Denethor is a lucky man! thought Meirelle, as the Lady drew away through the passage in the crowd. The man's voice continued now: "Please continue to the Party to celebrate Finduilas' arrival in our fair city!"

Meirelle followed the others to the room where the party was held. It was decorated lavishly, with beautiful curtains and tapestries on the walls. Maids and servants were bustling to and fro. Someone tapped her on the shoulder and she spun around, to be handed a plate piled high with food. "Take this to Lady Dryea!" was the command. Meirelle made her way over to Dryea's table and handed her the plate of food. A quick glance and a small smile were her thanks as Meirelle curtsied and went off to find more duties.

[ June 29, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]