View Single Post
Old 01-27-2003, 02:19 PM   #277
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Durmán looked at the woman, startled. What was this? Who was she? How could she know all this? She had the strangest eyes he had ever seen. It seemed to him she could see right through him and he didn't like the feeling. He also disliked her touching the necklace that had almost become like a relic to him during his past solitary years.

Durmán drew back his hand and the necklace. He also felt stupid, having left the ring on. The last time he had entered the Inn he had taken it off, but this time he had been in such a hurry, he had forgotten all about it. He had indeed planned to talk with somebody - this was the very reason he had returned - but he had wished to do it on his own conditions, telling what
hechose to. Letting Dol Amroth go unmentioned even, if possible. But now it seemed he had no choice.

Again he looked at the woman and he thought he saw pity in her eyes. He wondered how much she really knew about him, but he didn't really wish to know.
Finally he spoke, keeping his eyes fixed on hers.

" I do not come from Dol Amroth, it has been years from my last visit there. It was my mother who gave me this ring." He was seemingly unwilling to tell more about it. "But tell me, how do you know about my brother? How do you know his name? Have you seen him? "

Durmán had decided to stay calm, but it was impossible. So many years had passed with no news about him.

"How do you know all this?", he repeated. "Have you heard about it while in Dol Amroth? I know the people there know my story.
For I do not believe in seers or prophets."

This was not entirely true, but Durmán felt suddenly quarrelsome. He was not used to strangers telling him about his life.

As he was waiting for her to answer, he saw a young rohan girl place a glass of water before him. He tried his best to calm down and smiled warmly to the girl, who looked somewhat lost behind the counter. "Thank you. Actually I could use something to eat, too, if that is not too much of a trouble? I haven't eaten a proper meal for days."

Then he turned back at the elven woman again. " I want to apologize for my behaviour. Please, tell me, do you really know something about my brother?"

[ January 27, 2003: Message edited by: Schmendrick ]