View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 11:00 PM   #58
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
That and the fact that I also have a mind to last year's form.

My fantasy team, of course, was purely based on last year's form, what with me being such a hugely competitive fellow 'n all.
Heh heh... you cheater.

My picks are based completely on what I think ought to happen. I don't consider last year at all.
Quote:
But you tend to forget one of Tolkien's recurring themes - the weak prevailing against the odds where the strong fail. That's why Hobbit teams can sometimes prevail over those lofty Elf Lord types.
I don't think that sort of thing works in soccer, laddie.

Take Frodo's Ring trek. Sauron had no idea what the other team was trying to accomplish, and did not know where the ball (Ring) was. That does not happen on the soccer field.

There is a clearly defined method of victory (putting the ball in the net) and the ball can only be put there in certain ways legally. You can't pick up the ball, toss it into the stands, have a crowd member carry it behind the goal, and then toss it to someone standing on top of the goal to drop it in. That sort of trickery is not allowed. The ball cannot come from the rear nor can it completely disappear from view only to pop up on the opposite end of the field. Soccer is much more like a huge battle than some sort of quest. And in a straight up fight, the inferior participant does not tend to win in Tolkien's works. When Morgoth/Sauron have the military advantage, they win. Oh sure, there are some glorious moments in defeat (Fingolfin's duel, Dor-Lomin's last stand), but the outcome is rarely any sort of "upset".

So don't even try that angle with me. I refuse to believe any explanation for hobbits faring well in this tournament. They're cheats! Big fat prediction-ruining cheats!! Aaaaaggghhhh!!!!

*gasps for air after rant*