Old 08-03-2003, 08:33 PM   #19
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Tolkien

FG-B-04
The original change was:
Fearful too they were for that slaughter Rog had done {amid} [to] the {Balrogs} [Balrog], {because} of those demons they had great courage and confidence of heart.
I thought that we could use because instead of deleting it. Anyway, it depends on what to do with Rog.

FG-B-03.05
Again, the problem is that the preceding paragraph § 70, is the one about Rog and his men slaying balrogs. If we are make Rog and his men, not kill a balrog, then paragraph § 70 and 71 will require some editing. It is because in change FG-B-03, the balrogs was change from plural to singular that I made this one.

FG-B-06.05a
Again, those are good observations, but when I read that paragraph § 77:
Quote:
Now the Orcs again take heart from the coming of the drakes, and they mingle with the Balrogs that pour about the breach, and they assail the Gondolindrim grievously. There Tuor slew Othrod a lord of the Orcs cleaving his helm, and Balcmeg he hewed asunder, and Lug he smote with his axe that his limbs were cut from beneath him at the knee, but Ecthelion shore through two captains of the goblins at a sweep and cleft the head of Orcobal their chiefest champion to his teeth; and by reason of the great doughtiness of those two lords they came even unto the Balrogs. {Of those demons of power Ecthelion slew three} [And he drove them back], for the brightness of his sword cleft the iron of them and did hurt to their fire, and they writhed FG-B-06 {;} [.] {yet of the leap of that axe Dramborleg that was swung by the hand of Tuor were they still more afraid, for it sang like the rush of eagle's wings in the air and took death as it fell, and five of them went down before it.} FG-B-06.05a
I included the part of the axe of Tuor, because I thought that it referred to it’s use against the balrogs.

FG-B-06.05b
I changed it from plural to singular because in paragraph § 77:
Quote:
But so it is that few cannot fight always against the many, and Ecthelion's left arm got a sore rent from a whip of {the} [a] {Balrog's} [Balrog] and his shield fell to earth even as {that} [a] FG-B-06.05b dragon of fire drew nigh amid the ruin of the walls.
I thought that how would it be possible for Ecthelion to have fought several balrogs. I included the change of {that} to [a] because I thought that the dragon of fire refer to the balrog and not a drake.

FG-B-07.05
I will delete it then.

FG-D-07.5a
We will use version a instead of b then.

Concerning Rog:
Looking at the text of the Fall of Gondolin I would now delete the part of Rog and his men killing a balrog. In the case of both Echtelion and Glorfindel, the text make the balrog that they kill in singular (Gothmog and a balrog).
I would not have a problem using the name Rog, because it is used in the Quenta Noldorinwa.

[ August 04, 2003: Message edited by: Maédhros ]