View Single Post
Old 10-22-2002, 10:46 PM   #33
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

Quote:
1. Retain "Legolas". The advantage to this is that we are making one less alteration to the words of JRRT. The possible disadvantages are these: a. "Legolas" appears in LotR as a (probably) Sivanized name, not pure Sindarin. The name in FoG should obviously not be Silvan. b. Elves do not tend to reuse names.
In response to this.

a.) I thought there were Silvan elves living in the Mirkwood forest. I remember reading that there weren't many of them but they were leaders to the Sindarin elves in that area. So wouldn't a Silvanised name make sense because Legolas was a prince?

b.)Aren't Legolas and Laegolas pronounced the same? If that is the case, it doesn't seem to fit with the rule because only a spelling change to the name has been made.

Im sorry if my points dont make sense. I haven't read anything from HoME except for the first half of The Lost Tales. But I remember reading about Silvan elves in Mirkwood so I thought I would share my unkowledgable opinion. I would like to get a quote from the book, but I have no idea where I read that from. It is probably Unfinished Tales.

[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: Elendur ]