Thread: Celebrimbor
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2001, 05:18 PM   #24
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Spirit of Mist
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Celebrimbor

The numerous contradictory accounts concerning the history of Galadriel not the least of which is the Elessar tale is what led me to abandon an attempt to dedicate a chapter of the Tales from Tol Eressea to Galadriel.

With respect to the Elessar and Celebrimbor, you may be missing (or glossing over) one possibility (for which there is no textual evidence). I agree that Celebrimbor, by virtue of the discussion in LoTR, is &quot;bound&quot; to the House of Feanor. Assuming that Celebrimbor was born in Aman, he may have known Idril there. Consider, Idril's Aunt Aredhel was a close friend of the sons of Feanor. Celebrimbor and Idril then could have been friends, or perhaps Celebrimbor was enamored of Idril's beauty, and the Elessar could have been a gift to her either in Aman or before she entered Gondolin. Another alternative would be that it was a gift to signify the setting aside of the greivances between the houses after the rescue of Maedhros by Fingon. If the gift were given in Middle Earth, the Elessar could have been crafted in Beleriand by Celebrimbor and then entered Gondolin.

Forgive me if I parrot other's opinions. The above speculation (certainly not canon) at least provides a motive for the giving of the Elessar by Celebrimbor to Idril.

Telchar, so far as chronology is concerned, my recollection is that the Elessar tale and the other writings about Galadriel were among JRRT's last writings about Middle Earth.

--Mithadan--
"The Silmarils with living light
were kindled clear, and waxing bright
shone like stars that in the North
above the reek of earth leap forth." </p>