View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 02:15 AM   #30
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Basis text: If we would start from scratch right now we would for sure take CoH as our basis for the editing process. But as it is we have already done a lot with the Narn of the Unfinished Tales as basic text. Therefore what I did so fare was editing our text by introducing all diffrences I observed to CoH. This leads often to very confusing editings. If we have agreed of how the text should read in the end, I will undertake the task of 'cleaning' the editing. That means I will probably change the basic text and skip all preliminary editing. But for the moment I found it necessary to dokument how we had come to the text as it was before CoH.

Only in one point the are the text from Unfinished Tales and GA more reliable then the text from CoH and that is the use of the old personal pronome 'thou'.

Na-TI-02b:
My appologies for not been as clear as needed.
In CoH the battle in which Húrin and Hour are driven ofer the Brithiach is not a specific one but one of a series of skirmishs at the nothern border of Brethil.
In GA (and following this source in Sil77) it is a specially mentioned battle that came to pass after the capture of Tol Sirion by Sauron because the Orcs drove into Beleriand.

The question is which source we follow. Or to be more specific do we mention the graeter geo-politic meaning of the fights.

CoH has the higher priority as a source text, but GA provides more information. I scipt the text of GA and toke CoH instaed, but that could be discussed.
I did incooperat the information about that battle from GA into the chapter Of the Ruin of Beleriand (which is not jet here in the forum) and found it textually difficult to repeat it here or to back-reference the reader. Therefore the solution in CoH to make the fight in which Húrin and Huor are lost unspecific worked very good for me.

Respectfuly
Findegil

Last edited by Findegil; 09-26-2008 at 02:20 AM.
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote