View Single Post
Old 10-24-2002, 02:22 AM   #318
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

***** DALE - Innkeeper *****

It was late afternoon by the time the unlikely crew of from the Inn had sorted themselves out into cabin mates, gotten their gear stored, and wandered up to the deck of the ship.

It was not a large vessel, that is compared to the great ships that sailed the seas of Middle Earth. But it was big enough for the river, and sturdy enough to see the companions through the greater part of their journey.

Bram stood at the helm, his eyes fixed on the river ahead. He had positioned one of the sharp eyed Elves at the bow as lookout for any downed trees or other such obstacles as Mother Nature might throw their way. He nodded his head for a moment toward the West and sent a small plea to Yavanna and Ulmo to see them safely on their way.

'Orodan!' he called out to the Elf standing river watch. 'How looks our way? Is it clear ahead?' The Elf waved the all-clear signal to him, and Bram nodded back to him.

One of the Dwarves had also been up at the bow, taking in the sights of the river, and now came walking back toward the helm. His gait was a bit unsteady. 'Not gotten his sailor's legs yet!' thought Bram as he watched him step uncertainly along the deck.

'Hringa, isn't it?' asked Bram, as the Dwarf came up to him. 'Is there something I can do for you?' 'I was noticing that interesting figurehead you have attached to the front of this boat. Nice work. Small and intricately crafted. But I can't make out what it is.' He looked up at Bram, expectantly.

The Man laughed in delight at the question. 'This is how I heard the story. There was a certain young man of Dale, Jarl by name, who desired greatly to see the world beyond Dale and The Lonely Mountain. He travelled once to the wilder, southern lands - into Haradwaith and along the coasts of Umbar. For a while, it is told, he was a smuggler, having taken up with a small crew who ran pipeweed and the fiery spirits so much in demand in Southron taverns. To make a long story short, that was the figurhead on the prow of the ship he sailed on. It foundered one dark and stormy night off the Havens of Umbar, and this was all that remained of it, washed up along the beach like so much flotsam along with Jarl. He took the carving with him and made his way back to Dale. And into more respectable trading practices! It was he who left this ship here for the Trading allies of Dale to use, and I who fixed the figurehead to the prow for him.'

'A good story!' said Hringa. 'But I would still like to know what the carving represents.' Bram laughed at himself. 'Sometimes I get too wrapped up in telling a story, and forget the point of it!' He shook his head. 'It's the figure of a bloodsucking insect. They named their ship after it.' He laughed again. 'The Nefarious Neekerbreeker!'

'That is a ghastly name!' remarked Hringa. 'Indeed!' laughed Bram.

The remainder of the day passed into night as the ship ran the river. 'I knew it would be good to have Elves aboard.' thought Bram to himself. 'They never require sleep and their eyes are keen even in darkness.'

Night safely passed and by the middle of the next day they they found themselves nearing the halfway point to the where the River Gladden joined its courses to the Anduin.

'There's a dock ahead!' cried Orodan, pointing, 'and someone is waving at us!'

'That would be Captain Rira!' Bram shouted out to the companions, 'Frain and Durgan - Furl the sail and secure it as I showed you! Stonehelm,Hringa,Nefros - make ready to throw those ropes to him! Girion and Rubin - prepare to drop anchor on my order!'

The crew busied themselves with Bram's instructions and the ship was soon brought safely into dock. Rira tied off the now anchored ship. Girion and Orodan put out the gangplank and Rira stood ready then to walk up it, his sea bag in his hand and his scimitar secured at his belt.

He smiled, and shading his eyes against the lowering sun, looked over the crew now gathered at the railing. 'Permission to come aboard!' he asked, as Bram stood at the head of the plank.

Bram waved him up, and clapped him on the back as he stepped onto the deck.

'She seems a sturdy craft.' remarked Rira. He looked over the crew. 'And an interesting crew!'

'Yes. And, yes!' came the reply from Bram. 'Now let me introduce them to you.'

[ October 24, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]