View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #7
Moonraker
Banned

Moonraker has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
First off, there's no evidence that the dogs ever "savaged" anyone. As Frodo said:

And as Pippin noted,

So yes, I think Maggot was reasonable to keep dogs for that alone, mushrooms aside.

As for the Ringwraith encounter, it was hardly likely to end in death. They were in the Shire covertly, and I can't see them killing any hobbits just for grins.
There is such a thing as drawing fire with fire, and Maggot and his three large dogs would have been over matched by an enemy eventually if they openly threatened anyone who entered his land. I think he would have been wiser to use a more subtle approach on the outskirts of the Shire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxnaY AintsaY View Post
Oh, I don't know about the Witch-king. There was that ol' prophesy about him, "...and not by the hand of man shall he fall." which potentially could been applied by any of the three dogs or their master.
I can't see how the dogs could successfully defeat the Witch-king. The prophecy was only a prediction by Glorfindel, not necessarily a reality, but Maggot was not Tom Bombadil. Who knows what he could do?

Last edited by Moonraker; 08-12-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote