View Single Post
Old 09-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #240
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Aaaaand it's done!

I am still a bit lost with the music in this one. I wrote the melody/harmony to the refrain three times and it came out slightly different every time. And there are other places that may be shaky. If anything feels odd, tell me which spot and I'll fix it. I did a test run - I am having trouble holding the melody on "let my words flow out between us" for some reason, and the first of "it was just the wind". If there is any trouble like that, I can change the cues and harmony a bit to help line up the melody.

I also found that in the final refrain I am very tempted to drop two of the words, "[the] mist lies thick] and "[Lord], have you truly". The first one is easy, not a big difference either way. For the second one, if the line is sung slow without the Lord it is easier to sing, but it also loses the pairing with "Lord, is all this world a lie". I would probably keep it if it's comfortable enough to sing.

I actually like how it turned out overall though. Finishing that fanfic actually made it better, I think. Initially I was looking at it as a song centered around Amarie and seeing the events through her eyes, and I wasn't getting far in trying to make it more Amarie-like. But after the fanfic, which gives Finrod a lot more significance in the Leithian story than The Sil does, I saw it differently - the whole of creation lamenting Finrod's death, but the words are shaped by his beloved... And that perspective got me to the different shades of the different stanzas. (Which makes me shake my head at myself - every time I think I can just copy/paste a repetitive music it doesn't work the way I plan; every time I feel I can't do that because the stanzas have a different feel. What was the point of picking a repetitive song? )

I am so excited to hear this! It's a very expressive song, and I can hear it done in so many variations and styles! I am looking forward to the final result!