View Single Post
Old 03-11-2021, 05:41 AM   #410
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
*applauds* Well now it just had to be done! (and voice alone, if you wanna insert Finrod and fiddle with their volumes or whatnot). This is fantastic! I am equally pleased with all of these recognizable phrases, especially "aure entuluva" - which I only now realized I've been mispronouncing for years, but hopefully I got it right here. Same for all the rest of it.
I am really very impressed by this. I was slightly terrified that I'd listen and find out we disagreed on how to read Quenya, but nope - your pronunciation is exactly what I was imagining, and extremely impressive! Given the nightmare words like 'collolairelya' and all those -ngw-s towards the end, I'm amazed you didn't tie your tongue in knots!

Quote:
Also, am I correct in thinking that while "melamar" means home, its literal meaning is "beloved house"? That is the most beautiful thing I have learned today. Gosh I love this song!

I also liked your forgiving heart / empty heart in the end of the stanzas, it's perfect. I think my favourite lines to say though were the ramar / melamar couplet. It rolls off the tongue so perfectly, and the sound of the language is very beautiful.
I think you're right on melamar (I didn't spot that!); Tolkien did create some lovely words. 'Empty heart' - there was absolutely no way to translate 'in bitterness of loss', the words simply don't exist. So I figured echoing the previous lines would work out. ^_^

My favourite coinage in here is 'rolaure' in the very last line; it literally means east-gold (ro-laure), and actually ends with 'aure', leading perfectly into that final entuluva.

Oh! And one I'd forgotten I did: when Fírië verya Melca, 'Death marries Might', that 'Melca' is actually 'Melka' - the root of 'Melkor'.

Quote:
If we're actually gonna make a thing from this, I'll do a better recording. Now that I think of it, maybe I should re-record the English one too, now that I know how to crop things and combine different records on Audacity. And fiddle with the music a bit. (later, later, after the primary work is done, I know!). I really really love that song, and the Elvish makes it sound really cool. ^.^
I will be making A Thing, because I know exactly how I want to animate it. But it'll certainly take a while to sort out, so no rush. And, splicing in new vocals is probably the simplest change to make, so I'm happy to do that whenever you decide to record them. New music is either very simple (if it doesn't change the timing) or very variable (if it does).

Quote:
That was the thought behind it. If you're happy with this, I'm happy.
Go for it!

Quote:
I mean, as far as pushing the preview, we're bound to do that regardless of what forum we're in. This has been the most active thread in the last year, with the exception of the WW games. However, I agree that 11 pages piggy-backed onto a thread that's not entirely on this topic is a bit out of proportion, and it wouldn't be wrong to split off the Zong. I can PM some mods to see what can be done. If we were to create a separate thread for this, should we title it Finrod: The Rock Opera, or Finrod-Zong, or both separated by an aka?
Part of my thought process is that 'except for WW' - because Werewolf is sharing the Mirth forum with us! I think 'Finrod: The Rock Opera' is a nice informative title, and covers all the versions, but I'm certainly not opposed to having a nice bit of Zonging in the title too. ^_^

Quote:
In the mean time, here are some Minions (starts around 1:15 because of the silenced intro). Subject to change should any bright ideas arise. I tried to match how you pronounced some of the words, which we say differently. And is this what you were thinking of for "Oh my lord - upon our border"?

Btw, the music, cause it's been a while since I posted it.
This I will look at when I get a chance (maybe tomorrow?), but don't feel you need to mirror my pronunciation! I think you even wrote that one, so I'll happily defer to your version.

Quote:
Edit: I was on a roll today. How do you like twinklebell Melian? Fully inspired by your twinkling star-flower-lamps.

Oh yes. That will fit perfectly with a slow fade from Nargothrond+Doriath to Doriathrin Night. I'm already excited for this one!

On my side, I've managed to put the Quarrel video together:

08 - Quarrel

It opens directly from the end of Renunciation, and will flow directly into the Aria. Not sure whether I'll have Thingol drift over to the left to make room for Melian, or keep the left side as a 'display' area for popping up portraits of people mentioned; I'll have to see how it looks.

(I really need to finish off the Prologue pictures, too... and I was going to try and make a prettier logo... lots to do!)

EDIT: So I looked at the various extant Zong logos (this, this, this), and before I knew it I'd gone and roughed together my own version:

It will almost certainly go through constant tweaking (I already want to remove the black lines entirely and see how that works), but as a general concept, what do you think?

(Font is Aniron, which is free for personal use, and handily has Cyrillic support.)

hS

Last edited by Huinesoron; 03-11-2021 at 08:16 AM.
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote