View Single Post
Old 12-03-2003, 03:00 PM   #189
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

"Hmmmm," said the innkeeper as he scratched at his beard. Then he directed a meaningful and pointed look at a member of the Inn's staff. Clad in grey, he stood unnoticed by the hearth, surveying a few occupied tables nearby. The older man who had entered earlier put down an empty cup and continued his conversation with the younger guest. The server stepped forward and snatched up the empty cup, bringing it over to the bar where it was duly refilled and returned to the table. The old man raised a hand as if to summon a server, then noticed the refilled cup sitting next to his elbow. He looked about with a moment's confusion, then nodded to the innkeeper in appreciation.

Estelyn watched these proceedings, then nodded in understanding. "Efficient, unobtrusive, silent and very well-trained," she observed. "It's as if the Inn were their life." The innkeeper nodded in turn. "One might say so," he murmured under his breath.

"Then what shall we do with the girl?" asked Estelyn. "For better or worse, she has been passed on to me and I would not turn her into a personal servant. I daresay it would not suit her well, and I have little doubt that this is why her fosters have let her go so easily. And there is the matter of her brother."

"Aye, her brother," he answered. "Very well. I suppose we have need of one to welcome guests both to the Inn and its common room. One who speaks, that is," he added with a laugh. "But she must not get the idea that she is in charge of the staff. They might...take offense. She must let them do their job while she does hers."

He reached below the bar and withdrew an apron which he handed to Estelyn. As she turned and walked towards Mellonin, he called after her. "And she'd best smile! The customers like that!"